We are changing things. We are So Energy, a fast-growing 100% renewable energy supplier in the UK. We’re the leading energy supplier for customer service. We’ve won a host of awards too; including The Sunday Times Fast Track 100. Now we’re looking for people to join our growing team and support our customer base which has tripled in the last 7 months.
We are converting our existing platform to a microservices architecture using Kotlin, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud with the objective of building a robust, performant, scalable, and maintainable system that goes far beyond just our website.
We need someone who has a clear understanding of software engineering practices and agile development. Ideally this candidate is passionate about Clean Architecture and can apply these concepts effectively to Kotlin microservice development by drawing on extensive past experience. This is someone who has experience with different technologies and can quickly learn and adapt to new tools to get the job done.
The nature of the work will be around deprecating legacy scripts, applications mechanisms & tools by incorporating this functionality into our modern microservice architecture while following development best practices. Key relations and requirements Must be comfortable working alone, as well as working with a multidisciplinary agile team formed of Product Managers & software engineers across Backend, Frontend, QA.
Sound like you? Then please read on!
What you’ll be doing
- Help develop scalable and reliable systems based on microservice architecture (using Kotlin, Kubernetes and Google Cloud)
- Use software engineering best practices including:
- Applying OOP patterns
- Applying clean architectural practices
- Write automated unit and integration testing
- Code refactoring
- Code review
- Applying good application security practices
- Plan, design and develop new features for different systems, extending or creating new microservices
- Actively proposing new ideas about how to solve specific problems or improve the systems we currently have
- Reporting into the Head of Engineering, you will take ownership of the feature to develop, proactively looking for improvements and proposing new implementation approaches
- You’ll help others on their development pathway and mentor less experienced developers
- You are comfortable working alone, but are equally comfortable and enjoy working with a multidisciplinary agile team formed of Backend developers, Frontend developers, Product Manager, QA engineers.
- Professional experience writing microservices ideally in Kotlin (or Java)
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering practices in particular applied to backend, infrastructure and deployment in the cloud
- We are looking for candidates with some experience with at least 2 of the following languages: Kotlin, Java, Ruby, Python, NodeJs, C++, Go
- Experience or desire to work in a fast pace environment, with a growing number of cross-functional teams
- Experience or desire to modernise and streamline legacy systems
- GIT versioning
- Automated tests
- Collaborative, you are able to mentor less experienced developers
It would be great, but not essential if you have experience with the following:
- Kotlin (or Java)
- Experience with transitioning from monolithic to microservices
- Google Cloud or AWS
- Microservices on GCP or AWS
- Experience with Agile methodology
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and an extra day holiday for your birthday
- Ongoing support and development as well as a generous learning and development budget
- Free daily breakfast
- Great reward and recognition
- Exposure to all parts of a growing business
- Pension matching as part of auto-enrolment pension scheme
So Energy care about helping the energy industry become a much more diverse and inclusive environment and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and building an inclusive environment for all.
If you are interested in finding out more please apply making sure to complete all the questions to the best of your ability and attached an up to date version of your CV.