To apply for this job please visit theclimategroup.peoplehr.net.
We are looking for a talented, ambitious, high potential Senior Communications Officer to join our team. We need someone who has a flair for promotion, a nose for a story, who’s secured media coverage but also appreciates wider comms too, especially how to work with stakeholders in business and government. This role would suit someone who is able to think tactically and both grab and create opportunities all while bringing colleagues and external contacts with you. This position comes with major personal development and growth potential.
The Senior Communications Officer plays a critical role in driving the and implementing our international media and communications strategy for the Climate Group. You will also have responsibility for the strategic communications management and delivery of our work in industry – which is currently focused around our SteelZero project with expansion to other areas likely.
This role entails a wide range of responsibilities from ensuring our external messaging aligns with our organisational objectives, to developing media plans and releases for the Climate Group and drafting content for a variety of channels. You will also lead the media strategy for our flagship international summit, Climate Week NYC.
About the Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
Key responsibilities include:
Media relations lead
- Manage and lead implementation of the media and communications strategies that are aligned to our core objectives.
- Drive growth of our external profile through our media coverage, in ways which support our programmatic work.
- Take responsibility for building relationships with key journalists as part of an ongoing programme of outreach, to help build our media placement potential.
- Analyse our media work, benchmark our performance, and develop new plans and approaches to continuously improve our work.
- Directly work with CEO and other senior spokespeople to support them in media opportunities.
- Develop your role as a centre of expertise on media practice – advising other comms colleagues and supporting our most significant media moments.
- Be the main point of contact for day-to-day enquiries from the media for the Climate Group, and for the Industry system.
- Manage and maintain press lists through appropriate media platforms.
- Help act as the external radar for the team, monitoring current affairs, coverage of the organisation, providing analytics and reporting and proposing how we should evolve our position in the external world.
- Lead and implement the Climate Group’s media strategy for Climate Week NYC (this will be a significant portion of your time).
- Contributing to Industry system strategies and leading on the communications planning to deliver those.
- Build knowledge in this area – working with the head of this system area and supported by the Communications Director.
- Develop and manage the communications programme for our new SteelZero campaign, including building the communications strategy for new and growing initiatives.
- Lead on the proactive profile building of our work in this area, including relationships with industry trades around the globe and producing high quality visuals, videos and written content.
- Lead on oversight of comms contribution in this area, matching plans with resource and bringing-in colleagues support as necessary.
- Contribute to fundraising bids for new and developing projects.
- Write articles and produce content for the media, social media, website and other communications channels, ensuring that it is pithy, topical, visual and accessible.
Corporate comms planning and coordination
- Lead on and continuously develop significant sections of the Climate Group’s key corporate communications efforts.
- Work with wider teams and comms colleagues to ensure we are continually collectively promoting our organisation and our work.
- Ensure we have effective plans for profile building and storytelling.
- Own and continuously develop key corporate comms resources and assets e.g. our About Us materials, standard key messages and our latest overarching proactive messages to our stakeholders.
- Advise and support colleagues on issues such as our media and social media policy and integrating profile building into their work.
- Take a flexible approach to all corporate communications tasks – being able to help drive forward critical projects for the team wherever required.
- Work outside normal office hours when required, particularly for events and announcements across international time zones.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Previous substantial experience in building and then maintaining media relationships, preferably in an agency.
- You should be outcome driven and have high ambitions for your organisation and your own work.
- Competence in building great relationships and working with a broad range of internal and external individuals at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills to examine an organisation’s external communications performance and make evidence-based recommendations.
- Proven success in supporting impactful projects or campaigns – from early stages through to completion.
- A commitment to high quality work in all that you do – from written materials to personal interactions.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Strong desire to build knowledge in the areas we work on – to support interactions with external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrable aptitude in project management
- Team player with the ability to identify where support is needed and comfortable delivering an administrative workload alongside more strategic activity
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in the climate space or associated sectors such as industry, energy, sustainability or transport
- Experience leading the media strategy for major events
- Experience working with stakeholder databases or digital marketing systems, e.g. Salesforce and Pardot
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home, but you will also have the use of an office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location.
Post COVID, occasional international travel will be required.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time role, which will begin with a fixed-term contract of 12 months, with the intention to extend. The salary for this position is £32,000 per annum or more based on experience.
In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays; additional leave following three and six years’ service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The expected closing date for submitting your application is January 8, 2021. Interviews will likely begin before so please apply as soon as possible.
We are an inclusive employer who welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group.