To apply for this job please visit es.catapult.org.uk.
Salary: Up to 35k + Benefits
Status: Fixed Term /Full-time strongly preferable (however can potentially be flexible)
The Energy Systems Catapult
Energy Systems Catapult was set up to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system and ensure UK businesses and consumers capture the opportunities of clean growth. The Catapult is an independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence that bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research. We take a whole-systems view of the energy sector, helping us to identify and address innovation priorities and market barriers, in order to decarbonise the energy system at the lowest cost.
During lockdown, we have been working remotely and as we begin to focus more on the future, we intend to embrace a new refreshing way to utilise our office in Birmingham City Centre. As a consequence we are developing a flexible approach to the workplace , which ensures we keep some of the benefits of home working whilst enabling the Catapult to operate efficiently, this hybrid way of working may result in the majority of us working from home for a good chunk of the time, merging the best bits of both office and home working.
Energy Systems Catapult is entering an exciting period for the organisation following the UK’s commitment to achieve Net Zero carbon emissions, the COP26 climate summit being held in Glasgow in November and our efforts in helping a range of exciting UK businesses deliver innovative low carbon products and services that will transform the energy system and drive economic growth. As a result, the Communications and Marketing Team need more resource to engage and influence key audiences across the energy sector, and beyond, within a challenging and complex stakeholder environment.
The Catapult takes a whole systems approach to the transformation of the energy system across electricity, heating, transport, industry, infrastructure and consumer and the current four strong communications and marketing team need to take complex (sometimes ambiguous) concepts about the transformation to a digitalised, decentralised and decarbonised energy system, and make them accessible to a wide range of audiences.
Key Deliverables & Work Activities
- Work with technical experts across Energy Systems Catapult and with our innovative business partners and turn often challenging reports and data into engaging content to disseminate across a range of formats, including PR/media relations, social media and digital channels to reach a wide audience.
- Utilise existing relationships with journalists to grow our brand recognition.
- Providing day to day support to the Head of Communications and Marketing
- Develop written, verbal and visual editorial to make communication of the Catapult brand as engaging and bold as possible
- Support all teams in their understanding and use of messaging, ensuring staff and stakeholders are excited by the Catapult brand and messages
- Ensure all external facing content is professional, simple and targeted for the specific audience
- Proactively engage with regional, national and sector journalists, ideally utilizing your existing contact list of relevant journalists and use a range of tools to keep them up to date with Catapult news
- Use your experience in PR /media across digital, social and traditional channels to help raise the profile of the Catapult
- Deliver editorial for range of audiences e.g. press releases, forewords for reports, social media content, website content, newsletters, case studies, marketing materials, blog posts, briefing for staff and external supporters, etc.
- Support the Head of Communications and Marketing in taking press enquiries, drafting responses and writing media engagement plans
- Support the Head of Communications and the rest of the team across several marcomms functions, including internal communications, marketing, events, website user journeys, customer support etc.
What credentials are we ideally looking for?
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (preferably in Journalism, Media, Communications)
- Demonstrable experience of working with journalists and the media
- An able copywriter, able to produce relevant and targeted editorial
- Experience of media planning, launches and/or press conferences
- Have an excellent understanding of how to use communications tools and techniques to increase the visibility, profile and reputation of an organisation
- Have experience and/or a good understanding of social media, video/film use, and the impact technology is having on communications and collaboration
- A creative thinker with proven experience of working on diverse and wide-ranging communication strategies including all forms of media
- Experience of developing and managing strong and complex relationships as part of a centralised function and externally with multiple stakeholders
- Proficient in the use of IT Systems including Microsoft Office packages
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to communicate clearly with a range of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Experience of representing an organization at external events
- Taking ownership of work and managing this effectively and efficiently
- Persuasive and approachable you can successfully manage relations with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders
- Open to change and adapts well to setbacks or pressurised situations
- Supportive, positive and constructive in relation to interactions with colleagues and external organisations
Would you like to Apply?
The closing date for applications is Monday 6th September 2021
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.”
Purpose of the Privacy Statement
The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to make you aware of how and why your personal data will be used during any recruitment process and how long it will usually be retained for. This statement provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
In the recruitment process we, Energy Systems Catapult Limited, are a “Data Controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
The Energy Systems Catapult Limited is located at Cannon House 7th Floor, 18 Priory Queensway, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, B4 6BS and can be contacted by email at: email@example.com.
Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way;
Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes;
Accurate and kept up to date;
Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about;
The Kind of Personal Data we hold about you
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about you:
The information you have provided in our application form;
The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter;
Any information you provide to us during an interview;
Any other information provided by you as part of the recruitment process.
We may ask you for information to allow us to monitor our equal opportunities and diversity performance in recruitment. Also, if you inform us that you have a disability we will keep this information on record to allow us to make reasonable adjustments as needed.
How we will use your Personal Data
We will use the personal data we collect about you to:
Assess your skills, qualifications and suitability for the role;
Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable;
Communicate with you about the recruitment process;
Keep records relating to our hiring processes;
Manage recruitment related activities, which includes setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes;
Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We will also use information about any disability you may have to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process.
Such processing is lawful as it is necessary for our legitimate purpose in seeking to attract, evaluate, and select applicants for employment.
Data Sharing: Greenhouse Software Inc
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by us to help manage our recruitment and hiring process. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. This transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the Privacy Shield so as to comply with EU law.
We will retain your personal data for a period of 12 months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to the role. We retain your personal data for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal data in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Your Rights in Connection with Personal Data
Under the GDPR you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted or transferred.
When you apply for this role, and tick the confirmation box below, you have provided consent for us to process your personal data for the purpose of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. Withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that we cannot continue with your application to us.
If you wish to exercise the rights granted to you under GDPR please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.