Location – London / Bristol
12 month FTC
The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You’ll be editing all Creative Studio copy for OVO Group in line with our TOV guidelines. Acting as a day-to-day writing mentor for our writers, while helping our Lead Copywriter set the gold standard for effective, engaging content.
What will I be doing?
- Editing and proofreading all creative studio content
- Maintaining brand excellence – by making sure content answers the brief and is backed by data and insights
- Nurturing writing talent across the business – by sympathetically editing and mentoring them: and by “showing” not telling
- Working on key strategic copy guides and supporting the Lead Copywriter with high-level writing projects (20% of the time)
- Line managing a number of writers in our growing team
- Working strategically with the Lead Copywriter, Lead Designer and Head of Creative to bring key brand messages to life
- Collaborating with partners from multiple teams and subject areas across the business – from the Brand Team to UX, Insights to SEO, to make sure that our copy and content always hits the brief
- This role will sit within the OVO multi-brand Creative Studio being supported by our wonderful Creative Project Managers
Is this the job for me?
We want someone with around 10 years’ writing and editing experience. As a writer, you’ll be inventive and original. You’ll have written for various brands across multiple channels – and have plenty of editing experience too. Although this is an “editor” role, you’ll be, first and foremost, a super talented writer. Someone who can spot the potential in a sentence and whip it into shape in just a few tweaks. Someone who understands both reader and writer. And someone who’s brilliantly sympathetic when they edit: helping every writer squeeze the best from every brief.
Obviously, your spelling and grammar will be outstanding. But it’s your natural writing style and your ideas that will set you apart – your creativity, insight, and empathy. You’ll be a true people person, with the ability to challenge briefs constructively and collaborate with partners to get the best outcomes for our members. And you’ll have experience line managing writers as well as editing them.
A true copy tinkerer, your attention to detail will be second to none. You’ll be at home using data and research insights to shape our copy. And when you’re not helping other writers, you’ll be comfortable supporting the Lead Copywriter on high-level strategic brand writing pieces. This is primarily an editing role, but with a 90%/10% split of editing to guideline writing.
- A wealth of experience in copywriting and editing, at numerous brands and agencies
- Senior level of expertise
- Ideally experience leading a team and nurturing junior writers
- A positive attitude
- An ability to think both strategically and creatively
- Extensive experience writing long and short copy for different channels
- Superb up-to-date SEO knowledge
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.