In September 2020 Climate Group hosted Climate Week NYC, the largest digital climate event in the world. Now in its thirteenth year, Climate Week NYC (September 20-26, 2021) brings together business and government leadership to support, challenge and accelerate global climate action. This year, Climate Week NYC will be the last major global climate event before the UK hosts COP26 in November, meaning all eyes are on us to provide opportunities for governments and businesses to make announcements, renew commitments and show their leadership and ambition.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join the core Climate Week NYC team as the Senior Content Manager. The successful candidate will play a critical leadership role in creating and executing two of the highest profile events of the 2021 climate calendar and will work closely with the most senior levels of international business and government leadership. They will have a unique opportunity to leverage their experience and expertise to create a meaningful contribution to international climate leadership. Knowledge and experience of climate issues, in particular with reference to corporate sustainability issues, subnational climate commitments and the COP26 process is vital.
About the role
The Senior Content Manager will lead the development of two high-profile flagship events at Climate Week NYC and support business engagement across wider Climate Week NYC stakeholder engagement activity. The postholder will report to the Head of Events as part of the wider international communications team and will work closely with the Business Actions teams from our globally recognized RE100, EV100, EP100 and SteelZero programs, as well as Under2 Coalition of state and regional governments.
The postholder will focus on opportunities that range across two or more of these programs as well as potential new activities. They will take a personal role in engaging with companies to promote participation in our flagship Climate Week NYC events. This will include developing concepts and content for these events, suggesting and sourcing senior speakers, advising on relevant content and policy matters and supporting the Events Team in highlighting and confirming senior level delegates.
Leading on Business Action representation at Climate Week NYC as a core member of the events and business actions teams:
- Taking ownership of event content strategy and event agendas suitable for online events with a particular focus on our two flagship events
- Maintain and grow Climate Group’s reputation of producing high quality events with participation from leading figures from global business
- Using knowledge and experience of the sector to Identify high-level, influential speakers and take a lead role in securing those voices
- Sponsor liaison and management in collaboration with our Business Development team
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and multiple teams for additional speaker suggestions, provide strategic advice and insight on content and panel representation
- Brief all speakers, arrange pre-event panel briefing calls, and attend filming sessions for the event
- Design and develop promotional copy appropriate for target audiences, assist the Events and Audience Engagement Advisor to attract attendees to these events
- Attend meetings and update progress on a regular basis
- Drive our engagement with new senior stakeholder groups by developing ambitious outreach and communications channels with target groups
- Help identify key Climate Group stakeholders that should be invited to attend Climate Week NYC building on our existing networks and knowledge
- Identify key organizations to invite who sit outside the Climate Group’s network and create compelling narratives about our events and content to attract exciting partnership opportunities
- Work with the Events and Audience Engagement Advisor to ensure all campaign members are invited
This is a fixed term position focused specifically at Climate Week NYC 2021. Additional opportunities relating to COP26 and future Climate Group events may become available at a later date.
About the Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action. We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do.
We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
Climate Week NYC is an international climate that takes place in New York City every September alongside the United Nations General Assembly. As the flagship event for the Climate Group, and the largest Climate Week event to take place in the world, it plays a central role in promoting and supporting the Climate Group’s world leading initiatives, as well as providing a major platform for business, government and public engagement and action.
The Climate Group’s Business Action team delivers a range of global campaigns designed to secure climate commitment and action from the world’s most influential companies: from growing demand for renewable energy, electric vehicles and low carbon steel, to investing in smart energy systems including cooling technologies and LED lighting. We work with these businesses to share practical insights, communicate best practice, and leverage their demand to encourage governments to provide bold targets and supportive policies.
- An impactful leader in your own right with the ability to drive through ideas, build coalitions and negotiate complex networks
- Knowledge and experience of climate issues, in particular with reference to corporate sustainability issues, subnational climate commitments and the COP26 process
- Proven success in developing and delivering impactful projects and events
- Appreciation of commercial and financial drivers for businesses and NGOs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build effective working relationships across a range of cultural contexts
- Proactive and able to work independently and unsupervised to deliver tasks and achieve project objectives
- Experience working in partnership with the private sector and ideally with senior/board level personnel
- Experience of working in a global environment
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and ability to multi-task in order to meet strict timelines and budgets
- Team player with the ability to identify where support is needed and comfortable delivering an administrative workload where necessary alongside more strategic activities
- Commitment to the mission of the Climate Group and our business action campaigns
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home but you will also have the use of an office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location. Until then, this role can be done remotely but will require the post holder to be based in the UK. This position may require international travel.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time fixed term position for 7 months. We offer salary of £42,300 – £51,700 per annum, based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Mandy Simmons, Head of Events at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV, cover letter, and a one-page concept note responding to the following question. This can be attached to the cover letter.
“The Climate Group will be hosting a high-profile event at Climate Week NYC discussing jobs, environmental justice and a green recovery in the United States. We would like you to propose a session title, format, panel, target audience and in no more than 200 words a description of the event. Please also summarize what KPIs you would use to define success.”
The expected closing date for submitting your application is 22nd March 2021.
We are an inclusive employer who welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group