Location – Bristol / London
6 month FTC
The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Reporting into the Head of Creative, the Creative Studio Senior Copywriter will play an exciting role in one of the most exceptional tasks our business has undertaken to date.
We’re after an ambitious, experienced and gifted senior copywriter to work across our portfolio of energy brands, and improve the lives of millions of customers. This role will deliver multiple digital and print communications – consistently, concisely and in our brand voice.
We believe our brands to be transformative in the world – they do more than just sell energy. We need you to think big and creatively, helping us articulate our more complex migration content in the clearest, most compelling and inspiring way.
You’ll manage a team of experienced copywriters, reporting into a talented lead writer/editor – and you’ll be helped along the way by our awesome project managers. Working quickly and efficiently, your team will write long and short form copy, pitch in with ideas on how to improve our copy, and help set consistent rules around language, too. You’ll be responsible for ensuring the integrity of the original concept/brief is met, and that brand guidelines are adhered to. You’ll also present creative copy and ideas to senior stakeholders for feedback and sign off.
You’ll champion our customers, have their experience at heart, and help them understand the changes we’re making to their energy experience in a concise and human way. Always hands on, this role should be bucket loads of fun!
You will be part of a tight-knit creative studio of writers, project managers and designers – set up to work purely on this change project – but you will have regular engagement with the UX, Product, Brand and Marketing teams for support and guidance.
What will I be doing?
- Write, edit and tweak creative studio content (emails, letters, digital copy as needed) as directed by briefs
- Mentor/manage and support the copywriters in the team
- Work with the project team to ensure the integrity of the original concept/brief is met at each stage of the project
- Make sure all print and digital projects are executed within the timeline and schedule
- Champion the brand tone of voice across all comms
- Collaborate with with Marketing, Product, and UX specialists to shape our member journeys from end to end – across multiple channels
- Working closely with product managers and developers to write engaging and precise microcopy that’s in line with our tone of voice guide
- Managing yours and your team’s personal workloads and schedules while actively responding to fluctuating business workloads, you’ll work with studio project managers who will schedule and brief in your work
Is this the job for me?
You’ll have a track record in writing creative comms work for Marketing teams in start-up-style, fast-paced environments. Plus:
- A wealth of experience in writing and editing customer-facing copy for brands
- Experience writing microcopy and working with UX, Product and Software Engineers following agile (Scrum or Kanban) practices
- Experience in managing copy teams
- Eagle eyed detail orientation with a focus on deadlines and successful delivery
- Impeccable spelling and knowledge of grammar
- Natural and original writing and editing style
- A passion for writing and creating
- A passion for learning
- A creative and conceptual thinker. Able to develop and improve brands within their tone of voice
- An open mind – and willingness to receive feedback
- Confidence – especially when it comes to expressing ideas, brainstorming with designers/other copywriters and communicating with other team members
- Experience working within regulated industries a benefit
- Energy and positivity; the person everyone wants to have in the room
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.