At Kaluza, we’re looking for Senior Designers to join our growing Platform Design team.
Kaluza is shaping the future: a distributed, consumer-centric energy system providing clean, affordable energy for everyone. Two of our largest platforms are; Orion, our flexible software platform which enables energy suppliers to provide a simple, transparent, reliable experience to their customers. We also have Flex, which is our intelligent technology platform which aims to unlock the benefits of renewable energy and smart devices to help decarbonise the grid.
You’ll join a large and highly collaborative team with a startup mentality matched with the resources of the UK’s largest independent energy supplier. If you’re looking for something to challenge you, this is a great opportunity. We have several opportunities available so do apply, and we can tell you more!
We’ve embraced flexible working and our team members are trusted to choose how and where they work to balance team-building with their lives outside of the office. Kaluza teams are spread across the UK and Europe, but collaboration is still key to how we work.
We have several opportunities available so do apply, and we can tell you more!
Diverse teams are the best teams. Only when we represent everyone, can we create services which benefit everyone. We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know ‘normal’ office hours don’t work for everyone, so we’re open to discussing flexible working requests. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Iterate complex user journeys while considering the wider experience of the platform. Mentor others in taking a user-centred perspective
- Define what research and data will be essential in shaping complex design problems. Collaborate with researchers and data analysts, support others to validate designs through research and share insights across teams
- Contribute to design system elements and patterns. Support others in applying elements consistently
- Create highly efficient service maps up to a high level of complexity and fidelity, and support others to create their own maps
- Regular collaboration with engineers to identify technical constraints and opportunities. Have a good knowledge of front-end frameworks
- Prioritise and plan what goes on to the team roadmap as a guardian of user goals.
- Contribute to the evolution of our core design principles and systems
- Have a wide array of tools for sketching, collaborating, artworking, prototyping and communicating design to engineers. Actively test and socialise new tools
- Deliver clarity through presentations, planning, workshops and documentation Support others on the team to improve their own communication strategies
- Set realistic and achievable goals for yourself and your team. Be involved in recruitment
- Frame design projects for your team in user-centered, data-informed terms
- Strive to embody the Kaluza/Ovo values, initiate and helps to organise design group social activities and plans
What we are looking for:
- A champion of customer needs and experience for your team
- A critical thinking process and complex problem solver
- A multi-disciplinary designer with a strong portfolio across user experience, Interaction design, research, data and technology
- Effective in building and maintaining strong relationships in cross-functional teams
- A compelling communicator: you can distil complex ideas and package them for easy consumption and adoption.
- Always eager to learn, and a willingness to share with others happily and freely.
- Comfortable with remote working on a regular basis.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills.
You’ll love working with us if you…
- have a passion for understanding real people’s problems
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems that can be solved with better research methods
- are empathetic with colleagues, as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a narrative, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agility and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
- You thrive in an agile, ever-changing, and demanding environment that requires multi-tasking.
When you join Kaluza Platform Design team, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers, designers and copywriters. The design community at OVO focuses on helping teams to see their product through the eyes of real people – understanding their context, motivations, and needs – so we can improve the experience for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, getting people excited about service design, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to be the good ones, always find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire on the basis of merit and potential. So – get in touch, ask lots of questions.
Please mention For Purpose Jobs in your application