Senior Designer – Smart Meter Booking
Location: Remote with options to commute to one of our offices in Bristol, London or Edinburgh
The OVO Group’s mission is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. We’re a collection of companies with a single vision: to power human progress with clean affordable energy for everyone. Find out more here.
Our design community is growing and we’re looking for a multi-disciplined designer (UX, research & service design) to join the team responsible for the experience when a customer decides to exchange their traditional meter for a smart meter.
The national roll out of smart meters represents a step change in opportunity for the UK energy landscape. For customers they offer greater convenience and access to timely and accurate information that can drive hugely beneficial outcomes. For the UK energy market as a whole they are a central component in the drive towards net zero carbon living. This team is responsible for the customer smart meter booking journeys as well as all of the internal tooling used by operational teams to ensure seamless and efficient installs.
What you’ll be doing
- Be a key member of the metering squad and contribute to its three pillars of work: smart meter booking, smart journeys and smart operations.
- Partner closely with multidisciplinary teams that are made up of engineering, product, and data (among other stakeholders) to find user centered and practical solutions to design challenges.
- User research, validate concepts with end-users and stakeholders, and turn insights into value-adding features and actionable deliverables.
- Create service blueprints up to a high level of complexity and fidelity, and support others to create their own maps to identify key problems in our journeys and propose solutions to address them.
- Help shape the design culture & vision for our design function
- Champion design by promoting its purpose and impact, and mentoring others within your squad and the wider organisation.
- Contribute to the evolution of our core design principles and systems
Who you are
- A multi-disciplinary designer with strong skills and interest in UX, research and service design.
- Someone who thrives in complex and uncertain environments. You are passionate about difficult problems and get excited about breaking them down to find solutions.
- You are great at collaborating with others. Working with engineers, product managers and other stakeholders means you have to be a great collaborator and communicator. You enjoy rallying people around shared goals and fostering mindset changes with teams.
- You are passionate about design and user research best practices and champion these areas by coaching others in your team.
- You have a robust and diversified design experience. You have in-depth experience working on complex software systems from end-to-end.
You’ll love working with us if you…
- Have a passion for understanding real people’s problems
- Have a curious mindset, recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- Are empathetic with colleagues, as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a narrative, or challenging ways of working
- Know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- Embrace agility and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
When you join Kaluza, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. Design at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, getting people excited about service design, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
Diverse teams are the best teams
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.