We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
We have a rare opportunity for a fantastically T-shaped marketing genius to join the Octopus Energy marketing team.
The primary focus for this role will be programmatic advertising and A/B testing as we dive in and explore exciting new options in display advertising using DV360 and The Trade Desk, but your role won’t stop at that.
You’ll have opportunities to contribute meaningful growth across other marketing channels.
We react swiftly to new opportunities and often call for all hands on deck to make magic happen when the right opportunity arises.
If you want to contribute to the global transformation of the energy industry – lowering CO2 in the atmosphere and drastically improving service with transparency, honesty and simplicity – have a read of the job description and click apply if you think Octopus Energy is the ideal place for you.
What you’ll do
- You’ll design, publish and optimise programmatic ads and immediately start testing across networks such as DV360, The Trade Desk and more
- You’ll be reactive to meaningful opportunities for customers – we’re customer-centric through and through – as well as for the growth of Octopus Energy
- You’ll have access to a wealth of data from our digital attribution platform, licensed databases and our very own industry-disrupting platform, Kraken, to help identify audiences and design new advertising strategies
- You’ll have the Google marketing suite to help with this too. Alongside Google’s DV360, you’ll seek and trial new Demand Side Platforms and help integrate them into our attribution platform and weekly digital marketing report
- Naturally, you’ll be familiar with Google Tag Manger and help set up new GTM containers for international versions of our website and platform so it’s ready for tracking data in new global markets
- You’ll have the freedom to test your own ideas and work on them from concept to completion yourself. Our illustrators, UX designers, developers, writers and data scientists are here to help make something purposeful together. However, the more of these areas you can be hands-on with yourself the better
- If you keep abreast of new social media, ad tech, and digital marketing trends that’s great, if you create your own, that’s better
- You’ll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. We’ve recently acquired the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we’re helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy to drive the UK towards a lower carbon future. Everyone at Octopus plays a significant role in making a zero-carbon future a reality.
What you’ll need
- You need 5+ years of experience in digital management, with a minimum 2 years in a programmatic commercial roleLike a true T-Shaped marketer, a broad knowledge of the digital marketing mix is important
- Programmatic display advertising and A/B testing across DV360 + The Trade Desk but knowing the ins and outs of Search, PPC, Social as well as SEO will be ideal
- You’ll have a deep understanding of the interactive media ecosystem and trends around programmatic
- You hold strong relationships across the digital and programmatic community and are able to raise the profile of amongst key programmatic teams
- You have a solid working knowledge of programmatic measurement tools, ad verification partners, 3rd party data providers & technologies
- You’ll need to implement and report A/B testing on audiences, creative, copy, as well as platforms and you’ll make marketing suggestions based on the results
- An understanding of attribution modelling and reporting. We use a marketing data platform called Fospha to unify all our digital marketing silos
- We like our marketers to have some base knowledge of behavioural psychology. What makes people sit up and listen? When do people change routines, break habits or act on something?
- A test and iterate mindset. We don’t expect you to have all the answers, but we do expect you to explore and find them.
- An open mindset to working outside conventional advertising methods – we do stuff differently at Octopus and aren’t afraid of getting things wrong to help find the right answers. For this reason, you’ll need to be vigilant and proactive in spotting weak areas and suggesting solutions and improvements.
Why you’ll love it here
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.