Job: Senior Digital Product Owner
Salary: 55,000GBP plus benefits
Time: 6-month contract or full time – with high possibility of extension (immediate start)
Location: Remote, but if UK based you will be willing to meet with the team on ad hoc basis in Totnes or London.
About Common Seas
Common Seas is a not-for-profit enterprise that researches, designs and implements solutions to address our global plastic pollution crisis. Our mission is to quickly and significantly reduce the amount of plastic waste produced and stop it polluting rivers and seas.
We do this by driving new policy, investing in the circular economy and catalysing a cultural shift in how we make, use and dispose of plastic. We are on a journey to make our tools and methods accessible as digital products, and available through an online platform.
About the Common Seas Platform
Digitising and sharing online tools are an essential part of our aim to scale our impact. Through our platform, end-users in governments and hospitality businesses will be enabled and empowered to understand the impact of their plastic waste, identify and understand causes and assess and implement solutions. The two digital products are:
An auditing tool that navigates users through collecting data on plastic waste, provides a visual analysis of the data to indicate key issues and available interventions to solve issues; and
A strategy development tool that uses an e-learning environment to provide in-depth and engaging knowledge on interventions, guiding users through a self-assessment and planning of implementation of interventions.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for a seasoned Digital Product Owner with a strong track-record of controlling the discovery, design and development of complex digital products. They have mastered ‘Agile’ working practices and have experience in managing the build and launch of new high-impact products – turning ideas into comprehensive and coherent product concepts and translating those into digital product specification and requirements at pace. They have a portfolio of work demonstrating their involvement in products in auditing or e-learning; and/or in the field of circular economy and sustainability, focusing on enabling and empowering others to understand and address environmental issues.
You will oversee the continued design and development of technical solutions to deliver the Platform, including its technical and architectural strategy. Your responsibility as the Product manager will be to ensure that the product roadmap to design, develop and deliver the Platform has a long-term strategic focus as well as short-term tangible outcomes. You will work closely with the Common Seas team as well as an external development team including software engineers and UX designers. You will prioritise features of the product, based on user research, stakeholder engagement and the needs of other products offered by Common Seas. You will be responsible for managing day-to-day interactions with the development team, develop and manage a product roadmap and ensure timely and high-quality delivery of features, among other tasks.
To be responsible for delivering the end-product, to include,
- Create an appropriate execution strategy then manage, communicate and plan the product roadmap, considering the entire product development lifecycle. Monitor project deliverables and adjust priorities as needed
- Write products specifications and draft competitive RFPs
- Propose and agree budget and timeline
- Oversee recruitment of and own contracts with external support (including software engineers and UX); negotiate and influence to hold them accountable to the terms of the agreement
- Manage deadlines, deliverables and budget, securing approval on MvP’s
- Bridging communications between Common Seas inhouse team and contracted technical specialists, i.e., development house and UXer
- Lead requirement gathering sessions with stakeholders (to include users), and manage change in relation to specified requirements, looking to identify deeper strategic needs and opportunities
- Build and manage the product backlog, prioritising features and developments based on user needs, stakeholder input, the product roadmap and Common Seas strategy
- Drive continuous improvement of the product – define and use analytics and audience research to investigate user behaviour and establish insight into MvP performance; and to use this data to drive ideas, features and product improvements
- Maintain clear and comprehensive documentation
- Refine development of the business case.
- Master’s degree required or a Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 3 years relevant full-time work experience as a Product Owner / Product Manager of a digital product (portfolio that has auditing tools, data visualisation, e-learning, and circular economy products are favourable)
- Working knowledge of product design and user research best practices
- Experience in managing digital product development through product development lifecycles and following Agile working practices
- Experience in hiring and managing external development agencies
- Ability to solve complex problems, reach decisions and solutions underpinned by consultation, evidence, and solid documentation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to understand issues from different perspectives, and the confidence to take principled positions or seek help when needed
- A high degree of comfort with web technologies, with the ability to work with both technical and non-technical colleagues and partners
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Deep understanding and strong affinity with circular economy principles and solutions and proven knowledge or working experience on projects in this field
How to apply
Please email your CV along with a portfolio of projects; to include a link or screen grab and how you contributed. Please include examples of projects where you have been the only inhouse team member with experience of building a digital product.
firstname.lastname@example.org email title: Application: Senior Product Manager