Salary:From €4 710 pm (Brussels), £54,625pa (London)
Closing Date:18 October 2021
First Interview Dates:Week commencing 1st November
About the role
We have an excellent and challenging opportunity for a London or Brussels-based Senior Energy Systems Expert to join our Energy Systems team. In this team, we engage in advocacy and legal interventions that are aimed at removing legal barriers and creating the right legal frameworks for an efficient, flexible, clean and competitive energy system.
Progressive and innovative legal action has the potential to transform the EU energy landscape and to drive investment in sustainable alternatives. The main focus of the position is to engage in advocacy and litigation actions to counter the lock-in of gas. You will be engaging in policy discussions and bringing legal interventions that remove legal barriers to the creation of a clean energy market, ensuring that it complies with environmental standards, minimising its impact on public health, the environment and the climate
Meet your Manager
In this role, you will be managed by Maria Kleis Walravens. Maria joined ClientEarth in 2014 and is based in Brussels. Maria is the Head of the Energy System and State aid Programme and is in charge of ClientEarth’s cross-programmatic gas strategy. Before joining ClientEarth she worked as the EU Liaison for the Regulatory Assistance Project. She also gained state aid expertise working at the European Institute for Public Administration.
- Develop the strategic direction for ClientEarth’s Energy System work
- Contribute to the selection, development and management of advocacy and litigation
- Develop and maintain a robust and extensive knowledge of energy system related issues
- Carry out legal research and analysis relevant to the energy market
- Collaborate on relevant advocacy activities with other NGOs, decision makers, technical experts, and civil servants
- Represent ClientEarth in external meetings and undertake advocacy at EU, national, and global level
- Support efforts to raise public awareness
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role.
- Law degree
- Significant experience working directly in an energy system relevant sector
- In-depth knowledge of EU energy laws and policies, the functioning of energy systems
- Experience in leading advocacy and/or litigation
- Good knowledge of gas markets (desirable)
- Fluent (CEFR level C2 in English (essential)
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in another EU language (desirable)
See the job description (below) for a full list of requirements for this role.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
*The successful candidate’s final title will be agreed prior to a formal offer, and will depend on their professional qualifications and the applicable regulated titled allowed to be used in the relevant jurisdiction
Flexible working: Post-covid, we are giving our staff the choice to decide where they want to work for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based. See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Belgium or the UK.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.