Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre..
Wefarm operates in markets with extremely demanding data and technology limitations: With support for low data usage, intermittent connectivity and old devices. Rather than seeing this as a hindrance, you are excited by the challenge of building highly optimised web applications within these constraints.
You will create a vision for the frontend architectural development, and develop a plan of implementation. You will scope out the best technological solutions to create a lightweight client with excellent user experience.
You will operate within a cross-functional squad and work very closely with a Tech Lead, Product Manager and Product Designer to make sure we’re solving challenges that will bring the greatest value to our members. You incorporate learnings from user tests into scalable solutions and work with the other Engineers across the full stack to drive their implementation, maintenance and support.
Outcome 1: Goals are accomplished through:
- Communicating and collaborating effectively
- Working with the other engineers to drive rapid delivery
- Contributing ideas to help shape the product inspired by close interaction with users
- Iteratively building solutions based on user feedback
- Establishing clearly defined OKRs and priorities
Outcome 2: Products are built with a high quality of technical execution
- Clean and efficient idiomatic code is clearly documented
- Solutions are designed, tested and deployed in a simple and scalable way
- With a pragmatic approach to speed of delivery and robustness of solution
- Technical proposals, knowledge and learnings are continually shared across team boundaries
Key Skills and Attributes
- Bring a positive “can-do” energy to your team
- Have a bias towards delivery
- Highly proficient at developing scalable lightweight, accessible web applications
- Working closely with product designers to optimise solutions for delivering at pace
- Able to produce a set of reusable, modular components for a scalable design system
- Be an exceptional problem solver
- Be keen to upskill the wider team
- Be driven to create impactful products
- Enjoy being part of a cross-functional teamB
- e comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Have a passion for using tech for good
- Some experience with clojure or an interest to learn
- Communicate and articulate yourself effectively
- Enjoy learning new things
Rewards package and remuneration
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages, extended healthcare, enhanced parental leave, personal coaching (with MoreHappi), learning allowance and study leave.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office bases in our four main hub cities. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and hope that our next annual WeCamp (global get together) will be in person again.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background – and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.