Software | Up to £60 000 p.a. | Remote (but a London office if you wish to use it)
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world – we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity – that’s where you come in!
Role activities and responsibilities
Pod Point is building the charging infrastructure that’s accelerating electric vehicle adoption in Europe. We have built a pan-European IoT network of smart charging devices and need a pioneering tech stack to support it with real-time messaging. We also have an industry leading mobile app (built using React Native) offering a green energy ecosystem for our customers and EV drivers.
We need a passionate Full Stack Developer to help us achieve our mission – you will be working with the latest technology to support our roadmap. Our current stack is PHP 7+, Laravel 5.4+, ES6, ReactJS, React Native, most of the AWS resources (Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, Elasticsearch etc) and HTML5/CSS3/SASS. Our software culture promotes code quality, following industry best practice coding standards and test coverage of our code.
You should be hungry for innovation and keen to explore and utilise all of the tools available to make your work effective, efficient and industry leading. You will work closely with the rest of the software team to build elegant, high performance solutions. You will report into the Director of Software and will be based remotely….(although we have an office near Old Street Station in London that you are welcome to use)
- You’re always learning new technologies and looking to advance your skills
- You’re organised and detail-oriented enough to manage projects with many moving parts
- You play well with others
- You get stuff done, but you also care about the quality of your work
What you’ll need
- Excellent understanding of PHP 7, working with frameworks such as Laravel, Symfony, etc
- Excellent understanding of SQL and relational databases structures
- Excellent understanding of HTML & CSS/SASS
- Knowledge of systems architecture and web technologies, and exposure to scalable, distributed and real-time platforms
- Experience deploying to AWS cloud infrastructure (ideally using AWS Opsworks & Chef)
- Ability to review proposals, designs and specifications to ensure they are implementable, proposing suitable alternatives if necessary
- Experience working within development pipelines and continuous integration
- Experience working with TDD/BDD
- Experience working within an Agile software team (SCRUM)
- Guru of all things Git/Github
- Experience working with Craft CMS or Twig templates
- Experience with Selenium/Web driver/Nightwatch.js in-browser testing
- Experience with React Native
- A dog that you can bring into the office (once Coronavirus abates)
- Passionate and knowledgeable about climate change, sustainability and/or the EV industry
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for – send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word – we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Salary Sacrifice Electric Vehicle Scheme
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- Remote first working approach
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
- Bike to work scheme and discounted gym membership
The socially distant elephant in the room
Our first priority (at all times, but especially during the COVID-19 pandemic) is to make sure we’re not unnecessarily exposing Pod Pointers to potential health risks, so we’re conducting all interviews on Google Meet and are able to onboard new starters remotely too. We also realise it can seem daunting to start a new role remotely (and some people struggle with their mental health when working from home at the best of times) so we do intend to reopen the office as soon as it’s safe to do so, and once we do you will be welcome to use that for work if you prefer. Additionally we’re putting in place some extra initiatives to keep our culture humming (for both “work” and “play”) as we transition to being a remote first company.
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!