The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Reporting to the Head of Monitoring, OVO Retail, this role is fundamental to providing an effective Monitoring function. As Senior Monitoring Manager, you would be working to support a risk-based approach to monitoring principal risks for OVO Retail. This will include supporting the delivery and on-going maintenance of the Annual Review Plan, which will support us in ensuring compliance with our regulatory and legislative obligations whilst supporting the delivery of our Retail Objectives.
The Risk & Compliance team, which you’ll be part of, is a new one. It was created following the acquisition by OVO of SSE Energy Services and this is an exciting time to join the team as it integrates both businesses, working to deliver a best in class Risk and Compliance Service.
What will I be doing?
This involves managing the daily operations of a monitoring team in the delivery of a comprehensive review programme to monitor and advise on regulatory and legislative compliance across OVO Retail. The role requires knowledge covering a wide variety of business areas each of which must manage multiple, and often complex, regulatory and legislative risks.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supervising and guiding Auditors across multiple sites, setting effective strategic goals, and harnessing and developing talent to further support the strategic and commercial goals of the business.
- Building collegiate relationships with colleagues in the wider Compliance and Risk function to ensure an integrated approach to risk and compliance and consistent advice to OVO colleagues.
- Defining and applying appropriate independent monitoring methods to oversee the effective delivery of the annual monitoring programme.
- Supporting OVO colleagues to operate compliantly. Ensure findings are both material, accurate and focused on adding real value through the strengthening of business governance and controls to manage regulatory and legislative risks.
- Attending senior governance forums and business meetings to represent the Monitoring function
- Undertaking specialist audits that provide assurance against principal risks
- Achieve business buy-in to compliance requirements and aid understanding of what good compliance looks like by supporting colleagues to ‘find a better way’.
- Ensure adherence to approved compliant standard processes and procedures, keeping on top of changes in auditing techniques, industry standards, regulations and relevant statute.
- Ensuring the production of high-quality simple outputs that enhance governance and compliance frameworks.
- Developing a sound understanding of the external political and regulatory landscape to facilitate the identification of changes that potentially affect compliance risk and the focus of future monitoring work.
Is this the job for me?
The ideal candidate will have a passion for compliance and desire for business improvement. They will have an ability to work cooperatively within OVO to assist business areas and simplify compliance complexity. They will have experience of delivering high value & quality outputs and managing high performing teams.
Ideally you will have:
- An IIA or ACCA auditor qualification or hold an equivalent level audit qualification
- A minimum 3 years experience of auditing of Principal risks and/or specialist areas such as HR/IT/Finance and maintain knowledge of changes in applicable audit standards.
- Experience of managing a monitoring function and a programme of audit activity
- A good understanding of the external rules (e.g. regulation, legislation) which apply to OVO Retail and assist your team in identifying and mitigating business area compliance risk.
- Excellent understanding of governance, risk and control concepts and application
- Experience of working with businesses to develop and enhance controls framework.
- Well organised, structured in approach and able to operate effectively in challenging situations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and be able to take complex ideas and communicate them simply.
- Confident and capable in leading, motivating, influencing and managing people at all levels with experience of people management.
- Resilient in character with strong ethical values and a desire to get it right.
From us you’ll get
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
Please mention For Purpose Jobs in your application