The Snapshot – The successful candidate will be the company’s first dedicated Senior Packaging Manager; that means they’ll be developing world-class packaging for all of our amazing plant-based products we launch into the market. We’ve allocated over £750k of our latest funding round to build an R&D facility in Q2 2021. That will consist of a circa 7000sq ft space, lots of fun equipment, space to bring ideas to life, and an amazing team to deliver them.
What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk – https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete – co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren’t realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we’ve basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we’d love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
What will you be doing?
- Lead the packaging development, from inception to launch, of new plant-based products to market. Just try our current products and you’ll know we mean business!
- Directly build the packaging function within the company, shaping the strategy, managing the packaging portfolio, and driving sustainability into every pack we put on the market. This will be done directly with the co-founders bringing them along every step of the way.
- Build the internal packaging briefs, development process, and sign-off requirements. This will include managing primary, secondary and tertiary packaging (including palletisation plans) for the business.
- Manage our continuously growing supplier base, ensuring we have chosen preferred suppliers that we can rely on to enable speed and flexibility in the innovation process.
- Our current products are pretty good, but no-one is perfect! You will lead the continuous improvement programs for current products on the market.
- Work cross-functionally with Marketing, SC, Finance, and Operations to land product launches OTIF. Your interaction with Marketing will be key to ensure we build packaging that fits the brand and can connect our amazing new products to consumers.
- Manage the CapEx plan for new packaging including any new capabilities or equipment needed to fuel our growth.
- Establishing best practice procedures for the company around packaging materials and building the company’s own specification process for packaging.
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and appetites, attending key trade-shows domestically and internationally.
- We estimate that you’ll spend around half of your time in our main office (based in Notting Hill, London) and the other half in our R&D facility. That facility will be based about 15 minutes away from the office.
What are we looking for?
- Someone with a deep, end-to-end understanding of the packaging process, from idea conception to launching a new pack to market.
- A Degree (Master’s preferable) in material science, engineering, or equivalent.
- >3 years in a similar R&D, packaging development role within FMCG. Experience in a packaging supplier is also welcome, but not required.
- Experience in delivering a new packaging material, format, or mold to market is preferred.
- Experience working with suppliers, third-party manufacturers, or co-packers.
- Passion for food and sustainability. Taste and quality are TOP of our agenda.
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls. We are leading the category in terms of product, and for us to stay there, you will need to have a relentlessness that isn’t in everybody.
- Positive attitude, proactivity, and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- A desire to build a team and take on line management in the future.
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity – a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we’re playing table tennis)
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because – they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They’re not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We’re not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- We do really care about our team’s wellbeing so we give everyone a wellness allowance every year to spend on things that will improve their wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, physio, meditation apps and more.
- Everyone has the opportunity to work from home a day a month, should they fancy it.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you’ll be exposed to – and have the chance to contribute towards – challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We’d love to hear from you, so please apply with your CV and a video cover “letter” (doesn’t have to be snazzy, just 1-3 mins with a quick overview of your background and why you think you could fit this role).