Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with each other and key partners over SMS to solve problems, share ideas, obtain vital products and services, and spread innovation, through utilising the latest machine learning technology.
Small-scale agriculture is the biggest industry on earth, with more than a billion farmers globally supplying 70% of the world’s food and commodities, yet remaining digitally unconnected. Until Wefarm, no other had built a digital platform for these farmers to share their vital insights, without having to go online!
Since our launch in 2015 we have grown to serve 1.9 million farmers across the world, who share more than 30,000 Qs & As per day. Wefarm has recently secured $13 million in Series A funding from some of the world’s leading VCs, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley, and we are looking to add to a world-class team based across London, Nairobi, Kampala and Dar-es-Salaam.
Join us and be a part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre!
Wefarm is looking for a highly experienced and flexible problem solver who will bring a broad range of skills into the team and take the company through the next phase in it’s journey into the digital world. Being one of the first members of the Platform Squad, there’ll be a large variety of challenges to address and we’re looking for someone who is able to collaborate but also able to own it and get it done!
Key responsibilities include:
- Shared responsibility for the general administration of production cluster environment and databases
- Maintain and improve existing ELT (extract-load-transform) pipelines to get data from various systems and databases into our existing Snowflake data lake
- Build and maintain data transformations to enrich our data, including using DBT as the transformation step within our data lake
- Mentoring the Engineering and Data Science teams and helping them arrive at the best possible solutions
- Enable stakeholders, including the BI, Product, and Growth teams, to get access to the data they need to perform their duties
- Monitor cluster and database usage and performance to maximise efficiency
- Ensure platform and data security and data protection regulatory compliance by implementing optimal access policies and following industry best practice
- Razor-focused on personal and team OKRs to ensure work is aligned with company goals
- Design and develop stable functional services
- Produce clean well documented idiomatic code
- Comfortable with Git Flow methodology
- Support Head of Engagement to deliver a quality UX to the users of WeFarm
- Service integrity and availability
- Extensive commercial experience working in a Data Engineer role (or equivalent experience in a backend engineering role)
- A successful history of manipulating and processing large disconnected unstructured datasets, and enabling others to use data to build value
- Advanced SQL (PostgreSQL and Snowflake)
- Working knowledge of Git and GitHub
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores (e.g. SQS, Kafka, Snowflake)
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Able to clearly articulate and communicate with non-technical team members
- Desirable: Clojure, Python and/or R
- Excited about Wefarm’s mission
Rewards package and remuneration
The total rewards package and remuneration will be based on experience and potential, but is highly competitive and will include share options. We believe in our team being not only the executors of Wefarm’s visions but the makers and owners of it!
As a global business, travel is essential to who we are (when permitted), and will be a perk of the job. We also host an annual whole company offsite (Wecamp), previously held in Kenya and Uganda. We’re hoping to continue this very soon. In addition, we have a generous pension package, flexible working environment (within reason of course!), and we value spending time together.
We will review applicants on an ongoing basis, unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.