To apply for this job please visit climatepolicyradar.org.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work on an exciting, high impact mission as part of the growing team at Climate Policy Radar. We are an open data climate startup (with secured core funding), on a mission to map the global policy landscape, harnessing machine learning to create the evidence base for informed decision-making. Our work helps governments, the private sector, researchers and civil society to advance effective climate policies rapidly, replicate successful approaches and avoid failed ones, enhance accountability and promote data democratisation.
We are building the capability to collect and structure climate change policy documents from all around the world. We need an exceptional engineer with broad experience who will enable us to build our end-to-end platform, with particular focus on back end development. Equipped with ample creativity and passion, you will be comfortable working in situations where uncertainty is high, defining the problems as much as the solutions. You will be willing to roll up your sleeves and dive deep into working on a wide range of areas, including web crawling, data processing, storage, APIs. Our current tech stack is DynamoDB, Python and FastAPI on the backend; with a TypeScript, React front end.
In this role you will…
- Lead the design and architecture of the CPR platform.
- Build scalable data pipelines to process and transform large collections of unstructured documents and associated metadata from different sources.
- Deploy machine learning models into our production environment and integrate into batch processing pipelines.
- Develop an efficient and scalable document search backend based on on dense vector representations.
- Design and develop a data storage architecture which is appropriate for storing documents and metadata.
- Design and develop our scalable infrastructure using AWS cloud services.
- Architect and develop APIs for internal and open access services.
- Contribute to the data processing needs of our data science team to ingest and prepare research data.
- Build flexible web scrapers that can collect climate policy data from a large number of government policy websites.
You will bring…
- You have a proven experience of delivering greenfield projects involving complex data and machine learning pipelines.
- A wide range of software development experience covering database, batch data processing, NoSQL and APIs.
- You are an experienced Python developer with experience of FastAPI and data pipeline frameworks such as Airflow or Dagster.
- Experience of working with containerised applications and software development with Docker.
- Solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals, version control (Git), shell scripting, OOP, unit and integration testing.
- You have experience of building scalable data pipelines for ingestion and processing of large unstructured data sources, incorporating machine learning models.
- Excellent SQL/T-SQL knowledge; experience with NoSQL document databases such as MongoDB or DynamoDB.
- Experience of working with architecting and implementing technical infrastructure on AWS, and deployment of containerised applications that can scale to a large number of users.
And you are…
- Motivated by a desire to use your technical skills to work on climate change and make a real difference.
- Excited by the autonomy and changeability that an early stage startup demands.
- Someone who loves to understand a problem, can take a step back and see the bigger picture, and is comfortable working closely with internal and external stakeholders to advance its solution.
- A high impact and exciting mission at the intersection of technology, AI and policy. A chance to co-create and help us shape our journey ‒ we are a young startup building our team and vision, so your input and impact will be significant.
- Access to a larger community of climate and data enthusiasts ‒ we are a member of Subak, an accelerator and cooperative for climate non-profit startups, and enjoy a joint programme of learning, collaborating and socialising.
- A deep commitment to our employees’ mental and physical wellbeing. Among others we offer unlimited leave, flexible work hours, a generous wellbeing allowance, short Fridays, and great coffee. Hybrid work arrangement: stunning work space overlooking Westminster Bridge, combined with remote working.
- A reason to get up in the morning, knowing you are working to solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- A competitive market rate salary based on your experience. We deeply care about our values. See them here.
Salary: Market rate based on experience
Important information: Only applicants legally authorised to work in the UK will be considered.