Who we are:
Apolitical is the first global platform for government that helps public servants find the ideas, experts and partners they need to solve the hardest challenges facing our societies. Our mission is to help make governments work better for citizens everywhere. The need to seek solutions across borders in government has never been greater. Yet public servants still often google or phone a friend to find policy ideas that affect millions of lives. Apolitical was created to change this.
We think it’s essential to highlight what’s working in government and to celebrate the committed public servants – unsung heroes – behind innovations. Apolitical’s publicly available policy stories reach tens of millions of people. Its private network is used by thousands of public servants in 140+ countries including mayors and ministers. Our partners include the World Bank, the UK Cabinet Office and the World Economic Forum.
About the role:
We’ve got a team of talented, curious, collaborative engineers and are looking for someone great to join us. Our stack is built with a React frontend, NodeJS backend on the Google Cloud Platform. Our ideal candidate will have expertise in backend development, and it would be a bonus if they also had experience with either DevOps or frontend.
Most of your work will involve backend development, but when needed, it would be great to have someone willing to step in on other areas of the platform also. If you’ve never worked with React before and you’re willing to learn, we’re happy to support you.
As we’re beginning to scale, this role is a great opportunity to help influence how we build up our product, platform and team. We want to help you leverage your strengths and make the role your own.
In a senior role on the team, we’re hoping you’ll bring your expertise, knowledge and strengths to the team and help us grow as a team. You’ll ideally be someone who enjoys taking ownership of pieces of work (including the technical breakdown and communicating with stakeholders, as well as writing code), takes initiative and enjoys teaching and learning from others.
Who we’re looking for:
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with NodeJS
- A willingness to learn and help others grow
- Proven expertise in at least one of the following areas: front end, back end or devops/infrastructure
- Demonstrated experience in delivering production ready code on several projects
- Understanding of best practices around building scalable, maintainable and performant designs and code
- Comfortable working in an agile environment
Nice to have, but not essential:
We’re willing to support in these areas if you don’t have experience yet
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes, GCP or other cloud-based services is a definite plus(we use Google Cloud)
- Experience with React
- Experience with TDD
- Experience leading on projects
- Knowledgeable about SOA
- Mentoring junior colleagues
- Experience breaking down work and technical scoping
- An interest in accessibility and web performance
- An interest in government and policy
What we can offer you:
- Opportunities to learn and develop, including twice monthly learning days and a learning budget
- A welcoming, collaborative team environment
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- The last Friday of every month as a company holiday
- Company holiday during the winter holiday period
- Flexible working
- Post-COVID hybrid working model
- Cycle to work scheme
- Parental leave for all genders