To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.
Location: Remote position. Applicants must work within time zones UTC +0 to UTC +4.
Application Deadline: Sunday, 25th July, at 11:59 P.M. CET
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
OCCRP is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to join our small infrastructure team. The team supports a range of services internally for staff and journalists, as well as for some of our member centers and publishing partners. There are around a dozen self-hosted open source solutions that make up our service offering.
The Infrastructure Team is responsible for ensuring the maintenance, uptime and running of all self hosted OCCRP services. You will work closely with the team on these tasks, and should have good communication skills to enable this. Your work will also extend to assisting others in the Tech department, ranging from Web Publishing to supporting the Helpdesk. You will also feed into ways of improving and further developing OCCRP infrastructure.
The team organises itself via lightweight project management. You will be expected to come up with estimates and give updates on task progress and completion. Some project management experience would be welcome, as you will be expected to manage your own workload and be able to prioritise assigned tasks accordingly.
OCCRP faces some serious and unique security challenges, with a fast-paced working environment. Occasionally these result in threats and situations where you may be expected to carry out documented disaster recovery scenarios up to and including rebuilding and restoring all of OCCRPs services within short timeframes.
This is a long term position within European time zones.
- Ensuring security is front and centre of your work, and our systems.
- Maintaining infra configuration codebase and CI/CD system.
- Taking ownership of specific areas of infra, and continuously working to improve them.
- Carrying out updates to software components and services.
- Handling monitoring and observability.
- Conducting audits of usage, both in the technical and user sense.
- Sharing knowledge within the team.
- Writing technical documentation as required.
- Assisting the security team with their work, when requested.
- Dealing with third party suppliers.
- Supporting other members of the infrastructure team with technical issues.
- Working with other teams – Web, Data, Video – to propose and implement systems that meet their needs.
- Introducing new technologies, ideas and skills into the team and wider tech department.
- Deputising for the Head of Infrastructure for short periods, ie during leave.
- Good working knowledge of Ansible or other IaC tooling
- Good working knowledge of Linux based operating systems, such as Debian
- Knowledge of Docker container orchestration
- Ability to write good technical documentation
- Good interpersonal skills with open communication
- Good written and spoken English
- Good knowledge of the following technologies:Nginx
- Database Management (Postgres/MySQL)
- GPG, TLS/SSL and the usual security essentials
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Use of GRSec tooling
- Encrypted mailing lists and mail senders
- SSO (OAuth/SAML) providers such as Keycloak
- Experience running and maintaining self-hosted application environments
- Automation of deployment and integration with CI/CD pipelines
- Managing systems with a ‘security first’ approach
- Ability to manage and prioritize own workload
- Working within a team environment
- Understanding of networking basics
- Previous infrastructure management experience
- Project management experience
- DDoS mitigation and prevention
To apply, please email your CV and a Cover Letter to jobs[at]occrp.org
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr(at)occrp.org.