Research role embedded in a fast-paced, strategically important team
OVO Energy, London
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for everyone.Our user experience practice is growing and we’re seeking an experienced researcher to join the product team responsible for serving OVO Energy’s customers through mobile and web.
OVO’s strategic priority is to help our customers reduce our collective carbon footprint. To achieve this we need to better understand what people need from energy, not just from their energy provider — something different from how our industry thinks about things today.
We’ve grown from a small challenger brand to the UK’s third-largest supplier in a decade, it’s vital we stay personal and responsive to our customer’s needs. We’ve mapped out our journeys and comms, and see where we can improve things; now we need detailed research to better understand what people’s ideal energy experience might be, guide solutions, and assess our new language guidelines. We want to further distinguish ourselves from our competitors and turn our customers into fans.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll coordinate planning, analysing, and communicating research, and identifying where it’s needed. We see user research as a team sport so you’ll involve as many people as possible in generative and evaluative activities, collaborative analysis, and sharing evidence and insights. And as part of our user research practice you’ll help build up our research operations.
We’re looking for a researcher who loves being out in the field collecting data as much as they enjoy coordinating research programmes. You’ll help us better understand our customers and how we can support them adapt their energy habits for a green energy future.
You’ll be based in London, and collaborate with people across the UK. Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies at careers.ovo.com and Glassdoor. We were delighted to win our 3rd Top Employers award in 2020, and uSwitch’s 2019 Supplier of the Year.
Diverse teams are the best teams. Only when we represent everyone, can we create services for everyone. We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know ‘normal’ office hours don’t work for everyone, so we’re open to discussing flexible working requests. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
- reveal our customer’s needs and frustrations so we can better help them take charge of their home energy and carbon footprint — one of the biggest challenges in our industry
- inform our roadmap by revealing how people make decisions when managing their energy
- help us discover new ways to benefit our customers, beyond simply supplying energy
- engage with a diverse range of research participants across all demographics and abilities
- find engaging ways to share findings across our organisation
Whether you’re sitting in somebody’s home or watching unmoderated usability studies… you’ll have to go beyond problem solving: we’re after a problem finder.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape – be curious!
- meet our customers, and understand their biggest frustrations
- get started straight away creating a research plan and feeding findings to your team
- help your team validate, or dismiss, journeys and comms they’ve built recently
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- help your team implement A/B testing infrastructure and exposure hours
- introduce ways for your team to regularly interact with customers and get fast feedback
- plan and run workshops to align people around qualitative research insights
- pair with your product manager on market landscape research and competitor analysis
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
This could be a great stretch role if you’re seeking more responsibility—it’s an opportunity to have a very real impact on a service millions of our customers use regularly.
You’ll love working with us if you…
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agile and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
You’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, exciting colleagues about service design, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research; check out all our blogs. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to do what’s right, find a better way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire on the basis of merit and potential. So get in touch, ask lots of questions.