Full time Salary: £38k – 55k Includes stock options Remote or hybrid (office in London)
Apply at bottom of page
Why we’re hiring for this role:
We are hiring for an SEO Specialist in order to fill the marketing team’s current skills and experience gap so that we can achieve our goal of 50% of inbound leads coming from organic content.
We have a product that works, sells, and is growing unbelievably quickly. Over the course of 2020 we went from 0 to 100 companies; then in the first four months of 2021 we went from 100 to 200. Our dreams are big: we want to be in 500 companies by the end of the year.
A big part of that growth vision relies on being able to generate leads for Spill through organic content, something we’ve only started investing in recently. At the moment that’s primarily written content.
We’re looking for someone with before to come in and level up Spill’s SEO game. You’ll be responsible for the efficacy of the content Spill makes: is it generating traffic? Is it ranking on Google? Is it converting into leads? Is it scaling?
You’ll report into the Head of Marketing.
The ideal candidate
We care about experience, skills and traits. We also care about diversity — we want to receive applications from as wide a range of people as possible.
- ✅ You can show you’ve used SEO to grow a business before. We’re looking for proof of your efficacy in terms of numbers: how much did you grow website traffic by? How many top 3 keywords on Google did you rank for? What % did you increase attributable marketing-qualified leads by? We’re more interested in results than years of experience, although in order to have achieved this you’ll probably need at least 2 years in the field.
- ✅ You can get written content to rank at the top of Google. You understand and can improve on-page SEO, you know how to build links (and can get it done), you’re a wizard at keyword research and optimisation. You can demonstrate you’ve done it before.
- ✅ You can set up, monitor and interpret tracking and analytics for SEO content. That includes (but isn’t limited to) web traffic analysis tools like Google Analytics, SEO tools like Ahrefs, CRM systems like Hubspot, email newsletter management tools, and more. It’s also helpful if you’re good with Excel.
- ✅ You can increase landing page conversion rates. Again, can you show us some numbers and talk us through how you previously improved a landing page’s conversion rate? It’s also helpful if you can use A/B testing tools like Google Optimise, and if you’re able to make simple design and copy changes on web design software like Webflow.
- ✅ You’re pragmatic. You take a proactive approach to getting things done. When there’s a lack of process you create it. When someone forgets to tell you something, you chase them until they do. When you’re not sure about something, you raise it directly with the relevant person. You’re straightforward and level-headed.
- ✅ You’re obsessed with results. You like setting up and tracking KPIs. You always know the numbers. You like sharing progress updates before you’re asked. You stay focused on the goal and don’t let irrelevant tasks take up your time and attention. You embrace conflict to make sure everyone stays on the right track.
A few signs you might not be right for the role.
- ❌ You want to manage a team in the next year. You won’t be managing anyone in the medium-term: this role is for someone who loves doing, not overseeing.
- ❌ You really want to be a writer. This role is less about writing and more about getting written content to work for a B2B SaaS business. Although you may get involved with writing at some point if you’d like to, the primary skills we’re looking for are in SEO and analytics. We’re looking for a sharp, logical mind — not an artist.
- ❌ You can’t prove that you’ve used SEO to grow a business before. For this role, we’re looking for someone with direct domain experience.
Company and product background
We’re a London-based tech startup working to make therapy a universal employee benefit. We’re funded by Passion Capital, Ada Ventures and Seedcamp: the best investors in the game.
We make a Slack app that companies purchase to allow their employees to access wellbeing tools and content (if they’re feeling okay), ask questions to therapists over message (if they’re feeling a bit ‘meh’), and book therapy or coaching sessions in just three clicks (if they need more support). It’s everything that the NHS, private health insurance and employee assistance programmes aren’t: easy to access, designed to be used by everyone, and 100% un-intimidating. We’re proud to count among our list of clients progressive employers like Typeform, Depop, Huel and Bloom & Wild.
The pay and the benefits
The salary for this full-time role is
0.11-0.2% stock options.
- minimum 25 days holiday (plus Bank holidays)
- day off for your birthday
- Spill bank holidays
- access to Spill therapists
- mental health days
- work-aways (currently not doing due to COVID)
For more on how we work at Spill and what to expect, take a look at our careers page.
The application process
- 30 min video call to find out more about each other
- a paired working or take-home exercise followed by a short chat about how it went
- a second paired working or take-home exercise
- a few video calls to meet more of the Spill team
At Spill, we are committed to building a company that includes people from a variety of different backgrounds. We’re particularly interested in hearing from people from typically underrepresented groups in the tech industry.