We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1.5 million homes and over 12,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 3 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services.
We recently secured over £300 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, build more tech to make energy greener, and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets (the UK and Germany). You can read more about the impact of this investment here.
We’re looking to fill a permanent role for a Smart Meter Specialist. You will be an integral part of the Metering team, looking at improving SMETS2 processes and resolving escalated issues.
This is a ‘hands on’ role within a key operational team, so we expect you to have a varied skill set to undertake this role. As well as the day to day BAU metering tasks, we will look to assign an area of specialism for you to own.
Working as a Smart Specialist, you’ll be at the heart of everything smart metering at Octopus Energy. You will be expected to resolve SMETS2 issues relating to both the meters Octopus install and also ‘Inherited’ meters that we gain when we register new customers.
This role can be based in Leicester or London
What you’ll do
- You will deal with smart meter issues affecting the end customer experience, including speaking to customers where required.
- Using your operational knowledge you will work on defining improvements to the adapter software used by Octopus Energy to communicate with our SMETS 2 portfolio
- You will engage with third parties, to improve the processes they deliver and the customer service they provide
- You will have a technology focus, but this is not a Tech role! Technology forms a large part of the Octopus experience, so you will be expected to fully understand the technology we utilise both in the field and also to run our back office processes.
- Alongside your day to day operational role, you will continually look for improvements and will be expected to help define changes to be presented to tech to advance SMETS2 processes.
What you’ll need
- 2 years experience in a metering or operations role in the electricity or gas industry
- Experience of SMETS2 meters and use of adapter software
- Track record of triaging and resolving smart metering issues
- Proven ability to progress an issue through to resolution
- Ability to locate the underlying cause of an issue and deliver a resolution
- Flexibility to adapt to the priorities of the team
- Equally comfortable working within a team or on an assigned project as an individual
- An operational bias is key, so we’re looking for someone with BA skills but where you have previously done more than just define requirements or project managed in a smart role
- Strong Excel skills and preferably SQL knowledge
What you’ll get
- Equity Option Scheme (own part of the business)
- Pension Scheme – Employer 5% Employee 3% – you can opt to contribute more!
- Flexible working environment
- Access to the business/marketing book library – (it’s more of a shelf at the moment but it’s getting bigger)
- Breakfast, Fruit and hot drinks
- Weekly free Friday drinks
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Regular social events (3 parties a year including a Summer festival)
- Access to Hatch – Financial advice and planning for employees
- Childcare Vouchers
- Maternity and Paternity pay
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we are doing then we’d love to hear from you!