£45K – £65K based on experience – to start asap
Equity at the end of the project
You must be able to work in the UK
Please apply via (very short) application form
Bendi shows you clear and comparable sustainability information as part of clothing product descriptions while you shop. We do this with
cutting edge data science and AI techniques alongside best in class design.
We are bringing sustainability in the fashion industry into the 2020s by removing confusion around sustainability. We know that sustainability is not a yes or no question, it can be nuanced.
There is no one catch-all definition of whether an item of clothing is sustainable or not. Every fabric choice, each production method: everything has an impact, and that impact differs.
This is a four month full time project (with a high likelihood of becoming a permanent role) to develop and iterate on testable prototypes of a Bendi chrome extension that customers can use when shopping. You will be the first development hire and work in a small team of data scientists, a product designer and the cofounders to develop these prototypes. This will be in sprints of two to three weeks to shorten the feedback loop from customer insight to the next iteration of product. An understanding of agile practices is useful as well as experience of working in a startup environment.
We’re looking for someone who wants to make an impact. Sustainability in fashion remains relatively untouched by technology.
● Your desire to learn is more important than your experience, but ideally you already have demonstrable experience working in a similar environment on various web or web app projects. You have likely built several apps of your own already.
● You have a great interest in coding and solving problems. Whether you prefer php, python, node or .net, whether it’s all about responsive front end tinkering, or you love UX prototypes, or enjoy backend structure and data manipulation – you will have the opportunity to do much of this during this role. Your ability to build an elegant product will speak for itself. It is preferable if you understand DevOps processes and you appreciate the value that technologies like Kubernetes bring to the software deployment and development process.
● You’re able to communicate complex technical topics to colleagues simply who might not have your technical skill level. You have read up on good coding practices and workflows, understand clean coding style and make a habit of documenting your code. Version control systems and automated task runners will be your day to day tools. You are not afraid to ask the ‘stupid’ questions, discuss technical challenges and teach others.
● Responsible for development of our chrome extension, design, code development, testing, deployment and maintenance
● Contribute in all phases of the development life-cycle
● Develop and deploy new features
● Troubleshoot, test and maintain the core product and database to ensure strong optimisation and functionality
● Comfortable building and maintaining data infrastructure in the cloud
● Integration of user-facing elements
● Solve performance problems and architectural challenges
● Integration of data storage solutions
● Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system
● Creating database schemes that represent and support business processes
● Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
Language and frameworks experience
● Typescript /JS
● GraphQL or REST API or equivalent
● Redis/Mongo based Queue (RabbitMQ, Bull, etc)
Bonus points for any of the below
● Google chrome/firefox extension development and cross-browser compatibility
● Experience with Google Cloud Platform, CircleCI, Git, Kubernetes, Docker, Experience with Hadoop, BigQuery, or other “Big Data” system
What does success look like
You will be measured on the success of the product, not the development work alone.
Together as an organisation we need to develop prototypes that translate into a highly desirable MVP that customers love and find useful. If we are able to do this within the short time frame set, we have the highest possibility of success to further funding, which for you, means a share in future equity and a pretty cool opportunity to join us as we grow this company.
About working with us
You’ll be working with an enthusiastic team of makers and doers. Working times are flexible, but productivity isn’t… This is an all-hands-on-deck fast paced environment where commitment and a good sense of humour are appreciated. You must have high accountability and be able to plan your time efficiently as this is a tight project.
You’re one of the team. It doesn’t matter if you have to head off early to pick up your kid or take care of other stuff – the team will have your back. If you see something that isn’t right, you speak up, step up, and sort things out – in other words, if you see something that needs fixing or could be made better, do you move on thinking ‘that’s not my job’ or do you take the initiative? (Even if nobody is looking).
If any of the team see that you need help, they will step up and lend a hand. In return you do the same for them. You don’t just follow instructions, you think about them. But you’re pragmatic enough to sometimes just ‘do what’s necessary’ to get things done. You’re logical and ‘get’ how things are put together.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do and reducing waste is integral to that. If you can think of a good/better way to do something then share it. We will always look to do things better and help others to achieve that.
Diversity and inclusion is extremely important to us and we will work hard to be a place where diverse thought and people can work and create together. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds – all genders, people of all ages, sexual orientation, nationalities, religions and beliefs. However, we particularly encourage applications from anyone who identifies as a woman, those with disabilities, and Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the technology industry.
If you’re interested in learning something new and joining the team at the start of an exciting adventure that we hope will make a tangible difference in the world, then we would love to hear from you