The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Following OVO’s acquisition of the SSE Retail Energy company earlier this year, the two companies are working hard to integrate their operations. Essential to this is the integration and rationalisation of their technical systems and data processing.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will work closely with OVO and SSE Product, Tech, Data and Analytics, and Data Platform teams. You will be tasked with identifying the right SSE datasources, mapping these into OVO’s data model and then implementing solutions using streaming technologies to transform and publish data onto OVO’s Data Platform for use by downstream operational and analytical teams.
This role is fundamental to realising solutions that deliver the successful integration of the two organisations, in line with OVO’s Data Strategy.
For more information on some of the technical challenges with integrating OVO and SSE’s data platforms why not read the excellent blog post written by Katie Russell entitled Eating the Data Elephant.
What will I be doing?
- Designing, building and maintaining streaming data pipelines with the chance to influence a new team’s technology selection and architectural direction.
- Providing engineering guidance, leadership and technical governance to the software engineering team that you are part of.
- Acting as a subject matter expert for more junior members of the team, providing technical advice, guiding solutions, and helping to establish good engineering practices within the team.
Data ownership and data pipelines
- Taking ownership of the design and development of data led strategies to migrate and integrate SSE and OVO data.
- Implementing solutions that extract high volumes of data from a wide variety of source systems and making it available on OVO’s streaming data platform utilizing the Kafka ecosystem including Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams and KSQL.
- Presenting solutions to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Is this the job for me?
- Experience leading the design, development and delivery of streaming ETL solutions utilizing streaming data processing tools (e.g. Amazon Kinesis, Kafka Streams or similar) is essential.
- Proven technical leadership including guiding: product architecture; solution design; technology selection; design pattern usage and implementation activities.
- This is very much a hands-on role so excellent knowledge of programming languages related to streaming data processing including SQL, Scala, Python, and/or Java.
- A proven track record of designing, building, monitoring and managing large-scale / high-performance, high-throughput / low-latency data products, pipelines and platforms.
- A solid knowledge of data engineering principles such as Data Modelling, Data Warehouses, Data Lakes, Data Marts and ETL.
- You will be comfortable working in an agile development environment with regular release cycles, and have experience of pair programming, BDD/TDD, CI/CD and deployment strategies.
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.