Looking to use your engineering skills to help make the world a better place? We’re building products to improve the lives of people in emerging markets by making it easier to send them money. Our web portal and the API helps non-profits provide assistance to people living in poverty, agricultural firms pay farmers for their crops, and gig economy startups pay workers—and there are many more opportunities for impact.
In the countries we work in, many people don’t have easy access to a bank account, so digital mobile money services like M-Pesa have become a vital part of the financial system. Different countries and providers do this differently and incompatibly. This makes it difficult to get money to people in those countries. The Segovia payments platform abstracts this away, providing a simple way to send money to mobile money networks in 11 countries (and counting) across Africa.
We are a small team looking to hire people who are excited by our mission and share our values. We offer competitive salary and equity compensation, flexible hours, and great medical, dental, and vision benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Segovia operates in conjunction with its sister company Crown Agents Bank (CAB), a UK based financial institution focused on providing services like foreign exchange, trade finance, and cash management in emerging markets.
We are looking for an engineer located in London to work with our US/UK based engineering team and boost our collaboration with CAB and help them establish a software engineering culture.
As a Software Engineer at Segovia, you’ll help define, build, iterate and test our core products. More specifically you will:
- Build new features to expand the capabilities of the Segovia Payment Gateway API and web portal.
- Research and invent creative solutions to meet the challenges of delivering technology in developing countries.
- Support our deployment team by delivering new functionality and implementing program requirements for our customers.
- Work with partners around the world to add new countries and payment methods to our payment network.
- Collaborate with our operations team to build internal tools and help automate the business.
- Identify and help fix performance bottlenecks across the whole stack.
- You are a strong developer with at least 3 years of experience writing clean, production-quality code.
- You have a firm grasp of relational databases.
- You collaborate well with others to make engineering and product decisions.
Ideally you are also
- Motivated by our mission and want to build technology that makes a difference
- Excited to work on a small team across all parts of the stack.
- Experienced with building and supporting cloud-based web infrastructure with Linux and AWS.
- A good communicator and natural collaborator who can work with colleagues at all levels.
- Able to spot bad user experiences and suggest improvements.
While our offices are currently mostly closed because of COVID-19, you’d ultimately be working out of CAB’s office in Sutton, just outside of London, alongside a few other CAB/Segovia team members, though you would not be expected in the office every day. Even when not during a pandemic, our engineering team is distributed and used to working remotely and internationally.