To apply for this job please visit tumelo-marketing-site.cdn.prismic.io.
This is an exceptional opportunity to design and develop a (world-first) shareholder voting experience, empowering investors and pension members to change the world with their investments.
As a So ware Engineer at Tumelo, you will be working with members across our small and mighty team: front end-ers; backend-ers, product managers and UX research/designers. You will share responsibility for the entire build of our consumer-facing, enterprise SaaS product from the first concept designs to testing and client delivery.
What is Tumelo?
Tumelo is an impact-led financial technology firm. Our mission is to enable retail investors and pension members to create and benefit from a more sustainable investment system.
We do this by partnering with investment and pension providers, enabling them to provide their customers with transparency over the companies they own and a shareholder voice on issues they care about, such as gender equality, human rights or climate change.
Our solution is white-label so ware delivered via APIs and a user dashboard. This so ware integrates with existing investment platforms improving customer engagement, acquisition and retention for providers – and driving a more sustainable investment system for everyone.
Who are we?
We’re a close-knit, open and honest team who work collaboratively. Usually Bristol-based, we work in an agile manner; and champion transparency both within our team and externally.
We run two-week sprint cycles to maximise the productivity of product development, including morning stand-ups, sprint planning sessions, demos, retrospectives and celebration events (dinners, drinks, sport, board games… and for our first team retreat we spent a weekend exploring, dancing, painting and cliff jumping in Devon!)
We foster learning and development and champion autonomy, and we make time to connect and reflect as a team.
We practised flexible working (with core hours 10-4 and optional work from home) pre-COVID.
As COVID continues, we have committed to being a remote-first team until at least November. We would love to re-gain some face time (because some playfulness is lost when working fully remote) but we’ll be working out exactly what that looks like – with the team – over the coming months and are planning to be even more flexible going forward. We’re super keen to keep the beating heart of Tumelo in Bristol and to support the South West community that has given us the most gracious home since founding 2 years ago. Don’t let location stop you from applying, but please specify your predicted circumstances from Jan 2021.
Our team’s values
• being ambitious
• long-term thinking
• open hearts
• bring the magic
• thoughtful listening
Let us begin with the juicy bit… You’ll be working with some stellar technologies including React, TypeScript, NodeJS, Open API, Golang, gRPC-based microservices, Kubernetes, Terraform, Amazon Cognito, the Google Cloud Platform and GitLab CI
This is a full-stack engineering role. You will be working across all elements of the product, including both our consumer-facing “Dashboard”, the back-office web application that we use to operate our product services and the full suite of Go-based microservices, databases and public-facing REST APIs that power our SaaS platform.
Enticing? Want to hear more? Well, in 2-week sprint cycles you will:
• Work in an agile team, actively participating in scrum-based ceremonies; in story writing and refinement and help to translate business requirements into usable stories.
• Contribute significantly to the architecture definition, design, development, testing and maintenance of Tumelo’s consumer-facing dashboard, back-office web portal and API suite.
• Ensure the so ware is appropriately tested at all stages of the development and deployment cycles, including identifying opportunities for making our test and CI processes ever more effective and efficient, and you will help with the implementation of improvements to those systems.
• Significantly contribute to the growth of our team and the direction of our product
Who you are
• You are an exceptional individual who encapsulates our company values: open hearts,ambition, bring the magic, long-term thinking & thoughtful listening.
• You have a passion for building beautiful and usable web front-end applications that delight and empower consumers.
• You’re a hands-on developer who loves to get stuck in and get stuff done.
• You are passionate about so ware development and enthusiastic about projects you work on, especially about learning new stuff and pushing your own boundaries.
• You love working collaboratively in a small team and are a brilliant, proactive communicator.
• You value giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback.
• You have the flexible attitude required in a start-up environment, with the willingness to adapt your role and work to our needs as we grow.
• When time allows, you are reflective and dream big. But you’re a speedy worker who can handle high pressure and a quick turn around when deadlines are tight
• You have a demonstrable passion for social, environmental and/or governance issues.
• You have the right to work in the UK with fluent spoken and written English.
These are desirable rather than essential criteria. We welcome applications from people who do not have all the listed criteria but think they have what it takes and a willingness to learn by doing.
• You have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of computer science having completed further education in comp sci or similar.
• You have previous experience in a high-pressure, scale-up environment.
• You have worked in agile, fast-paced, high-pressure teams, building new-to-market digital products.
• You have knowledge of Go and microservice architectures, ideally in a commercial environment.
• You have experience with React and TypeScript, ideally having used both successfully in a commercial environment, though we are also open to strong developers from other backgrounds who are eager for an opportunity to extend these skills.
• You have a good knowledge of RESTful API design and Swagger/Open API.
• You have experience in the deployment and management of highly scalable websites, preferably using Kubernetes.
• You have a strong interest in testing including TDD & BDD and an enthusiasm for CI and automation.
• You have experience in working with a variety of databases (SQL, NoSQL and/or GraphDBs).
• You have some experience of DevOps, Terraform, Skaffold, GCP and/or AWS
The finer detail:
• Full-time role preferred but if you’re great for this role and not FT then reach out anyway
• Flexible with core ‘with the team’ hours 10-4
• Ideally, you are close enough to Bristol so you spend in-person time with the team on a weekly basis
• Competitive salary based on experience (£30,000-£55,000)
• Company pension
• 33 days holiday (incl bank holidays)
• Company share options