To apply for this job please visit ccfe.amrislive.com.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within the (UKAEA) UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
RACE is seeking talented software engineers with a proven track record. You will be responsible for leading projects with expertise in software development, producing digital twin environments, and working on the design and execution of research projects relating to robotics and haptic tele-operation. With a focus on developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations, this role will support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
We offer an outstanding benefits package, including a world class pension, exciting challenges and a unique working environment.
The main responsibilities of the role will be the delivery of complex technical projects from conception to delivery. This will include:
– Software Engineering with Object Oriented programming languages and design patterns
– Writing front and back end applications for use with robotic systems
– Involvement in the implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
– Working with Unreal Engine and VR
– Integration with control systems and operations software.
– Supporting other engineers and managers with application issues (e.g. user ability, bugs, training requirements, configuration)
– Acting as sole or primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
– Acting as the lead engineer contributing to the remote handling operations of JET, the world`s largest magnetically confined fusion experiment
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our Inclusion Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For further information on why UKAEA is a great place to work please review our recruitment video via the following link:
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
– Strong experience with VR, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, or similar.
– Demonstrable experience working in engineering
– Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability of technical leadership
– A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control, documentation.
– Strong programming capability in C++ (or Python)
– Strong experience with Object Oriented Design
– Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
– Machine learning and Computer Vision experience
– Extensive experience working in a related engineering field
– Experience of developing real time software using VxWorks, or RT Linux
– Experience of designing control systems for servo-actuator systems
– Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation of servo systems
– Knowledge of regulations relating to safety of machines
– Familiarity with system modelling UML/SysML beneficial
– Familiarity with source code version control systems (Git, SVN etc..)
– Experience with network based communications, E.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
– Experience working with mobile robotics
– Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
– Professional registration
– Understanding of machine safety legislation and standards.
– Experience writing procurement specifications for control systems.
-As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
-Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
-We actively promote equality and value diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
-Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
APPLICATIONS ARE WELCOME FROM LESS EXPERIENCED CANDIDATES SEEKING CAREER DEVELOPMENT WHO FULFIL THE ESSENTIAL CRITERIA FOR THE ROLE ATTRACTING A SALARY RANGE OF £35,486 to £37,924 PA LEVEL 4. THE JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THE LEVEL 4 ROLE IS AVAILABLE WITHIN THE APPLICATION PACK (REF 5001).