Renwable Energy Systems
- Full Time
To apply for this job please visit res-group.csod.com.
We are searching for an experienced Solar Design Engineer based at any of our UK&I offices.
Do you want to work to make Power for Good?
We’re the world’s largest independent renewable energy company. We’re driven by a simple yet powerful vision: to create a future where everyone has access to affordable, zero carbon energy.
We know that achieving our ambitions would be impossible without our people. Because we’re tackling some of the world’s toughest problems, we need the very best people to help us. They’re our most important asset so that’s why we continually invest in them.
RES is a family with a diverse workforce, and we are dedicated to the personal professional growth of our people, no matter what stage of their career they’re at. We can promise you rewarding work which makes a real impact, the chance to learn from inspiring colleagues from across a growing, global network and opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Our competitive package offers rewards and benefits including pension schemes, flexible working, and top-down emphasis on better work-life balance. We also offer private healthcare, discounted green travel, 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell days, enhanced family leave and four volunteering days per year so you can make an impact somewhere else.
Job Purpose/Summary Details
Reporting to the Head of Solar Projects in the UK&I solar development team, you will produce engineering drawings from early site development to inform design, through planning and property drawings through the development, consenting and construction stages of solar farm projects. You will use AutoCAD and Autodesk Civil 3D software to perform terrain assessments and design on-site infrastructure and Vehicle Tracking software for site access assessments.
As the Solar Design Manager you will lead on and deliver infrastructure designs for solar farm projects throughout UK and Ireland. You will have design responsibility for several projects that may be in different stages of their life cycle (early feasibility through to construction).
Your role is essential to ensure schemes we submit for Planning Approval are buildable and profitable and to bringing consented schemes to construction and sale.
You will work with project team leaders for each distinct phase of a project. This is the Development Project Manager at pre-consent stage, the Project Manager for the post consent stage and the Construction Manager during construction.
We have a several project engineers who will work with you. The Lead Project Engineer has overall responsibility for ensuring best practice is followed and will collaborate with you on this. They will also contribute to your development and training plan to ensure this promotes and facilitates your ability to perform and grow within the role.
Your overall responsibility is to provide engineering and design expertise and produce feasibility assessments and designs for solar farms
It is essential that solar farms are viable on a subsidy free basis so an important aspect of your role will be to improve the value of projects to our customers and reduce costs. You will achieve this through efficient working, careful scoping & procurement, support to cost reduction initiatives & programmes, adoption & development of processes that reduce waste, creative problem solving and teamwork.
- Help identify project risks and how these can be mitigated cost effectively.
- Address engineering/design problems, weigh up conflicting project requirements and recommend solutions. We have a wealth of internal expertise across a variety of disciplines for you to draw on, or external contractors, for specialist advice.
- Using AutoCAD produce planning consent, option and lease, construction and as built drawings for the project delivery team. Whether from initial concept or from sketches and mark-ups, oversee the production of drawings and utilising own knowledge of basic engineering principles, infrastructure design and construction processes ensure that drawings are fit for purpose and recommend improvements where appropriate.
- Use PVsyst, AutoTrack, AutoCAD Civil 3D and industry best practices, model and design off site and on site infrastructure including panel layout, access tracks, earthworks, highway modifications, substations, utilities and grid connections.
- Following RES procedures, control and distribute both internal and external drawings.
- Perform reviews of all topographic survey data (terrestrial or airborne) to ensure compliance with specification and suitability for use
- Update Autotrack vehicle model database in compliance with the associated work instruction.
- Provide general engineering support to all project delivery team members including site visits and contributing to meetings.
- Manage your obligations for Sustainability, Quality, Health, Safety and Welfare issues including those under CDM Regulations. Contribute to the safety of projects by considering such issues in designs. Carry out design risk assessments where appropriate.
- Attend relevant engineering related internal and external courses to fulfil the role.
- In-depth knowledge of PVSyst,AutoCAD, AutoTrack and AutoCAD Civil 3D
- CDM Regulations
- Consultancy agreements and contracts
- Solar Development, Construction and Generation processes including project timescales, costs and associated impacts.
- An attention to detail
- Good report writing ability
- Good team working
- Negotiation skills
- Basic commercial awareness in relation to impact on design
- Ability to manage workloads and meet demanding timescales
Experience & Qualifications
- We need a degree in a related engineering discipline or someone with equivalent experience.
- You will have engineering and design experience of infrastructure projects and in the management and coordination of design processes.
- Experience managing workloads and meeting demanding timescales is key.
- Highways experience is highly desirable and experience in mitigation of risks through design.
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.