To apply for this job please visit res-group.csod.com.
We are searching for an experienced Solar Farm Electrical Technician (SAP) to be based on the Isle of Wight, or in Portsmouth / Southampton (candidates not based on the Isle of Wight can expect frequent travel to the island for work).
Do you want to work to make Power for Good?
We’re the world’s largest independent renewable energy company. We’re driven by a simple yet powerful vision: to create a future where everyone has access to affordable, zero carbon energy.
We know that achieving our ambitions would be impossible without our people. Because we’re tackling some of the world’s toughest problems, we need the very best people to help us. They’re our most important asset so that’s why we continually invest in them.
RES is a family with a diverse workforce, and we are dedicated to the personal professional growth of our people, no matter what stage of their career they’re at. We can promise you rewarding work which makes a real impact, the chance to learn from inspiring colleagues from across a growing, global network and opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Our competitive package offers rewards and benefits including pension schemes, flexible working, and top-down emphasis on better work-life balance. We also offer private healthcare, discounted green travel, 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell five days per annum, enhanced family leave and four volunteering days per year so you can make an impact somewhere else.
The Solar Farm Electrical Technician (SAP) is a site-based role performing Operation & Maintenance tasks on utility-scale solar plants with outputs of 5 MW and above (25 acres and above).
You will ensure the solar plants achieve outstanding levels of safety, quality and performance at a cost that meets operational budget, as part of an industry leading team of renewable energy specialists.
You will be a fully qualified electrician with experience operating and maintaining MW-scale solar plants and have HV Experience.
You will need to be located near the operational plants and have a full driving licence. This is a permanent role and will require availability for weekend on-call duties.
A company vehicle, phone and laptop/tablet will be provided. An overtime system is in place. RES provides a comprehensive package of benefits including contributory pension, private health insurance and investment in role specific training. For team members who embody our values of Passion, Accountability, Collaboration and Excellence, the opportunities for growth are huge.
The responsibilities of the Solar Farm Electrical Technician (SAP) include:
- Follow health and safety requirements always and maintaining and improving safety standards across the solar plants
- Achieve and maintain Authorised Person status following training received, experience gained and in line with individual job role requirements
- Undertake planned inspection and maintenance according to legal, technical, manufacturer and contractual requirements
- Inspection, testing and maintenance of PV modules, DC strings and inverters
- Undertake AC and DC testing, troubleshooting and fault-finding
- Perform reactive maintenance, fault diagnosis and resolution promptly
- Troubleshoot and carry out repairs on sensors and communication equipment including RS485, Ethernet and fibre optic networks
- Configure computer-based devices and components, including firmware updates
- Occasionally assist with ground maintenance or mechanical work
- Perform inductions for sub-contractors and supervising their work
- Keeping accurate maintenance records and compiling reports
- Keep in close communication with the O&M office
- Occasionally work away from home for training courses or to cover other sites for up to 1 week at a time
- Induct and manage sub-contractors, ensure their safe working and undertake quality checks on their work.
- Other responsibilities following the role
- Principles of High Voltage operations
- Knowledge of central inverters highly desirable
- Technical understanding of AC, DC and communications networks
- Good knowledge of solar PV technology
- Strong approach to safe working practices
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and spoken English
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to respond to changing priorities and emergent issues
- Enthusiasm for personal development
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Computer skills for writing reports, reporting progress and communicating
- DC installation
- DC fault finding, testing and commissioning
- LV installation
- LV fault finding, testing and commissioning
- Experience working remotely without close supervision
- High Voltage experience
- Solar PV installation experience (MW-scale or large commercial ground-mount)
- Experience installing or maintaining ethernet and fibre optic communications
- Experience working with SCADA or data monitoring systems
- Central inverter experience
- Full UK driving licence
- Fully qualified Electrician
- High Voltage qualifications and authorisations
- Inspection and testing qualifications (C&G 2391 or 2394/5)
- First aid qualifications
- Health & Safety qualifications (e.g. IOSH, SSSTS, CSCS)
- Advanced electrical qualifications
- Central inverter training qualifications
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.