The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth, we have a number of exciting new offerings to launch to customers. We’re looking for an exceptional person to help us continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
Our ideal Solutions Engineer would be an individual keen to solve real-world problems to deliver value to customers through answering questions, investigating technical queries, writing tutorials and guides, and marshaling requests to the development teams within a collaborative, community-based environment.
You will need to be technically sharp and people oriented; assisting with case management from customer queries we receive, and deep diving into our applications to diagnose issues, and reporting back on it.
We operate a highly agile development approach, giving wide scope to be involved with hands-on system-design, test driven development, deployment and operations.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical expertise for customers to support pre-sales and post-sales processes, guiding prospective customers through their onboarding process
- Address all product-related queries from customers in a timely manner
- Work closely with our Business Development department to win new business and increase revenue through the provision of technical expertise including:
- Training customers to use Upside products effectively and provide supporting documentation
- Visits to customer’s offices when necessary
- Report on product performance and provide our Product & Development teams with customers’ feedback to help identify potential new features or products
- Provide analysis of customers’ needs and suggest upgrades or additional features to meet their requirements
- Work closely with the Customer Operations team to improve processes and effectiveness
- Identify solutions to reduce support costs (e.g. eliminating manual processes)
What you’ll need
- Solid technical background in a SaaS business with hands on experience in developing cloud-native applications
- Familiarity with back-end and front-end software engineering practices
- Problem solving and analytical skills across technical, product and business questions, with an ability to gasp customers’ needs and suggest timely solutions
- Experience driving technical conversations with technical and non-technical people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment, with an ability to effectively work across functions (e.g. sales, product, engineering)
- A proven ability to multitask and perform well in a fast-paced environment
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
This description gives a feel for the role, however if you’re missing something here but think you’d fit, we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.