To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.
Tokamak Energy’s pursuit of the goal of fusion energy has led to the development of HTS magnet technology with a range of other applications outside fusion energy. This is an exciting new role for a magnet engineer to work within a newly formed special projects team to commercially exploit HTS magnet technology for non-fusion applications.
The Special Projects Magnet Engineer will have experience of working with superconducting materials, either HTS or Low Temperature Superconductors (LTS), to fabricate magnet coil structures. A rounded knowledge of the electrical, thermal and mechanical issues affecting magnet design is highly desirable. A methodical, analytic mindset is expected as well as being organised, self driven and able to work to defined scopes and timescales. Have excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively work with prospective clients and collaborators.
- Carry out technical assessments of new market opportunities
- Leading non-fusion magnet development projects and sub-projects
- Development of HTS magnet design and component design for non-fusion applications
- Contributing to the development of HTS magnet simulation tools, predominantly using Matlab
- Contributing to the development of HTS magnet structures, quench protection components and magnet assembly tooling
- Interpreting test results and producing clear written reports
- The role may involve some practical experimentation in the HTS Magnet Laboratory on HTS tapes, assemblies and magnets
- Occasional travel for meetings with prospective clients and collaborators.
- Degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline
- Technical ability (knowledge and experience) This must include experience in superconducting magnet and cryogenic engineering
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Decision-making, problem-solving, planning and organising
Desirable selection criteria
- Familiarity of working with HTS
- Familiarity of working with magnet modelling/design software (e.g. DASSAULT OPERA, MATLAB, COMSOL)
- Experience of performing practical work in a laboratory or engineering research environment
- Experience of commercial product development
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see:
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent