To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
ST40, our compact spherical tokamak, is the latest development in our exciting mission to achieve commercial fusion power. ST40 is a highly complex machine requiring careful and considered day to day operational management to ensure safe, reliable and efficient operation and maintenance.
This role sits right at the heart of the ST40 operations and is responsible for coordinating, planning and overseeing safe and efficient operations, installations and hand-over between the 5 operational states:
- Locked down and running plasma operations
- Not locked-down and out-of-hours
- Fault rectification during operations
- Shut down for planned weekly maintenance
- Full shut down for major upgrade/full rebuild
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Planning: manage the plasma operations shift roster process. With Programme input define the forward shift pattern and update rosters accordingly and liaise with Line Managers to ensure this is pre-populated ready for the regular planning meetings
- Planning: maintenance / shutdown phase preparation which may include detailed work content and sequence planning, organising the kitting or pre-assembly of new equipment, planning storage of removed equipment etc.
- Coordination: Manage the “Permission to Work” requests and check that work is completed or in a safe condition to run ahead of operations
- Coordination: sweep of area prior to lockdown, hand over machine to Engineer-in-Charge ready for lockdown and coordinate the opening and closing of the bio-shield
- Coordination: ensure that all departments are aware of forward plan with regular and concise communication of any required changes
- Safe working: for emergency repairs coordinate with EiC and Pilot for safe area access etc. and communicate appropriate requirements/conditions
- Safe working: coordinate bio-shield access, manage bio-shield occupancy numbers, orchestrate work across the different sectors and maintain bio-shield information board
- Safe working: carry out regular area audits to ensure best H&S practice and support the department with creating hazard analysis, risk assessments and implementing appropriate controls
- Experience of organising and coordinating many individuals from different teams in an effective and efficient manner and the ability to engage or challenge the team with the right approach and with confidence.
- Experience of working in an environment with multiple hazards and using standard H&S tools and processes (e.g. hazard analysis, risk assessments) to effectively manage and control the risks.
- Suitable and relevant technical experience and knowledge from working on or around a complex technical device or system that enables the specific technical and H&S considerations for working on ST40 to be appreciated and quickly learned to support safe and efficient coordination of installation and maintenance work. Experience from working on or around fusion technology related machines or equipment would be beneficial.
- Experience of working in a bespoke or prototype build or assembly environment and therefore demonstrated competence of planning and overseeing all aspects of a build.
- Excellent communication skills that enable clear communication to the team on the forward plan.
- Adaptable and resilient, with the ability to deal with ambiguity and rapid change with a calm and “unflappable” approach.
- Project management and planning experience and supporting skills to support the forward planning of operations and installation phases.
- Proficient user of standard office and programme management tools (e.g. MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Planner, Project, etc).
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.