Job Title: Standards Intern – Climate Transitions Screening
Location: Working from home currently required due to COVID-19 until further notice. Preferably European time zone or similar
Reporting to: Head of Standards
Closing Date: 7 September 2020
Hours: 40 Hours, 8 weeks
We are seeking an intern to work as part of the Standards team and undertake initial research for the future development of screening criteria to prevent ‘greenwashing’ in the financing of highly emitting sectors via the green bond market. It will provide the successful candidate with an ideal opportunity to learn more about the role of finance in addressing climate change and gain experience in this exciting organisation.
The purpose of the work is to undertake high level research and have discussions with key players to determine the value, scope and key strands of screening criteria for good climate performance in highly emitting sectors. This is part of a bigger programme that Climate Bonds Initiative is undertaking to expand its existing highly regarded criteria for Green Bonds into the other sectors that will need to transition in a lower carbon economy. The work is to put together the necessary documentation that will allow Climate Bonds Initiative to approach potential funders.
● Undertake high level research online and key stakeholder interviews to
o Identify organisations and work already done in this area that could be leveraged for the green bond market
o Identify the key climate and other green and social challenges and solutions facing that sector
o Identify a suitable lead technical consultant or academic who could develop the criteria and supporting individuals who could form a technical working group
● Work with CBI’s Market Intelligence team and country teams and undertake analysis to evaluate investor demand for green bonds in the sector
- Issues paper to be drafted after 6 weeks detailing key aspects and issues that will need to be addressed (per the bullets above)
- A ‘think piece’ on the topic for publication on Climate Bonds Initiative’s website
- A funding proposal to be drafted at the end of the 8-week period that details the rationale for developing the criteria and identifies potential resources who could undertake the work.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have an education in a related field (environment, finance etc) and be keenly interested in taking action to increase investment that is needed to meet the Paris Agreement.
We are seeking a motivated, organised individual with initiative and ideally some previous working experience.
● HNC or degree in environmental or finance related discipline
● An interest in climate change solutions and the role finance plays
● Ability to manage, coordinate and prioritise projects
● Enthusiastic, motivated, organised
● Excellent English writing and oral skills