Do you want a rubbish job?
At Recycleye, we’re on a mission to build the recycling industry of the 21st century. One of the world’s biggest challenges is waste- how do you sort it, store it, and reuse it? Recyleye’s proprietary waste – sorting technology solves this issue for waste handlers and accelerates the world’s transition to a circular economy.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager/Tech Lead to join us as a key hire on our journey to developing the recycling infrastructure of the future. You’ll have the opportunity to play an integral role in building a world-changing product while developing your own skills and qualifications.
Currently, the sorting of waste materials is done by manual workers. This is expensive, slow, and inaccurate. It’s estimated that the average materials recovery facility spends 60% of their operating costs on these manual workers. To date, AI and robotics have not been advanced enough to reduce this cost and make recycling cheaper, more efficient, and more widespread.
At Recycleye we’ve taken this into our own hands and decided to create the future. Recycle’s groundbreaking computer vision technology allows the automatic sorting of waste while our robotic picker system sorts it accordingly. Combined, they replicate the capabilities of the human brain, eye, and arm. We predict our technology will save the average materials recovery facility over $4 million.
Our technology stands to change the way recycling is done and we have received significant traction. We have a technology development partnership with Microsoft, are members of the world-leading Plug and Play accelerator, and have received grants/funding from the UK government and a number of high-profile VC funds.
Recycleye is a computer vision platform – we believe that to be the best we need to be scalable, software focused, and deployable. Every effort is made to improve the platform, add features the client’s love, and ensure processes/software are robust to failure.
Your role will be to take over the “vision system” which involves everything technical – some discussions about hardware included – the architecture of the whole system and design of the end-to-end product will be your responsibility (with a lot of help from the team)!
You will be responsible for building upon the technical team and the engineering culture at Recycleye. This includes mentoring junior staff and guiding them in their career progression. You will not just be a technical go-to, you will need good communication skills, management capabilities, and understanding of product to balance development, client deployments, and quality assurance/testing.
Most importantly, Recycleye has a growth mindset. There is nothing more important to us than our people and your direct reports will be bright, driven, and hungry to learn more. If you have had experience scaling a tech team, conducting 121s, sharing knowledge, tackling hard problems, and building trust in a great team atmosphere then this role is for you! If you think 121s are a waste of time and are more interested in the technology than the team this role is not a fit.
Our product is complex and spans multiple skill-sets (software, hardware, ML, data engineering etc.), this requires making choices on partial information and making sure every team member is heard and can speak their opinion. You will be the enabler of this and help bring out the best from the team in a complex and changing environment, keeping everyone focused and motivated to tackle the problem!
- Discuss product features and architecture with CTO, product manager, project managers etc. Deal with multiple stakeholders.
- Train, manage, and mentor a team of multi-disciplinary engineers.
- Implement and promote industry best-practices for development.
- Build up the engineering culture/team as we scale.
You’re a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about the green revolution
- Are ambitious and want to change the world solving complex problems
- Have a growth mindset and are willing to learn and adapt
- Are excited about being in a scaling startup
- Have a demonstrable history of being an obsessed hacker
- Experience managing complex architectures
- Experience as a developer (preferably Python or C/C++)
- Running and mentoring team members
- Has worked in a startup of a similar size – bonus if that scaled
- Machine learning experience
- Complex software with a data element
- IOT or industrial environments
- 0-0.5% equity
- Unlimited holidays
- Flexible working hours and location
- Extensive upskilling opportunities
- Career growth opportunities as the company grows