What We Do
Time is running out.
For Europe to have a fighting chance to reach its net zero targets, we need to transform our entire economy within an unprecedented scale and timeframe. The EU is leveraging sustainable finance regulations as the catalyst that will drive this transformation. We are building the technology that will scale their adoption.
Our SaaS platform will harness the scale of data and artificial intelligence to help companies navigate and implement these regulatory frameworks, removing the significant cost and time barriers that are blocking them from achieving their climate neutrality objectives.
Based out of the Berlin AI Campus and financially backed by Merantix AG, we have access to a network of more than 90 engineers, scientists, and entrepreneurs from leading companies and universities. You will be joining an experienced founding team with backgrounds in machine learning, law & sustainability as well as previous venture and consulting experience in the LegalTech, RegTech and NLP space.
Joining as our Head of Engineering / Lead Software Engineer and technical lead…
- You will shape the core product and it’s tech stack from the ground up.
- You will take ownership of the overall design, architecture, and integration of our systems.
- You will help hire, shape and lead an amazing tech team that has the right experience and skills to help us achieve our mission.
- You will mentor the other engineers from your team and strive for best practices across the team.
- You will connect business needs to technology requirements and clearly weigh up and communicate the pros and cons of different technology choices, as well as give honest and practical estimates of the time and effort of technical tasks.
- Ultimately, you will use your extensive experience in software engineering to help accelerate our mission impact and make a real difference.
If you think you are right for this role but don’t meet all of the requirements, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. Even if this isn’t a perfect fit, strong candidates will be kept in our talent pool for future hires.
You’ll play a pivotal role in defining and driving the tech stack so if you think you’d be great at this job even if you don’t hit all these requirements, please still apply!
- 6+ years experience as a lead software engineer, system architect or equivalent proven experience designing and building scalable software systems;
- You are hands on, lead by example and are keen to get stuck in to writing code alongside your team;
- Proven experience building and leading successful tech teams and fostering software development best practices (e.g. code review, pair programming, clear documentation, CI/CD, code testing frameworks, TDD);
- Fluency in multiple modern software development languages (preferably one of which is python) and frameworks with proven experience building robust, data-driven software systems and a strong understanding of which tools to use to solve different problems;
- Strong experience with industrial-grade relational and non-relational data storage (e.g. Postgres SQL, Elastic search) as well as scalable ETL data pipelines, orchestrators (e.g. Airflow) and API architectures (e.g. FastiAPI, Django) for making this data highly available to power different use cases;
- Strong experience with Deployment technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and Cloud architectures (e.g. AWS/GCP, terra form) as well as a strong understanding of which tools to use for which purposes;
- Experience with Agile Methodologies and leading technical Sprints;
- You are curious, pragmatic and humble and can bring a new perspective to our team;
- You are excited to build a software product and tech team from scratch and are excited to be a hands on developer as well as a team lead;
- You are fluent in English (German not required);
- Located in Europe and willing to relocate to Berlin full-time or come to Berlin for your first 3 months to get to know the team followed by a hybrid model: We can sponsor relocation for the right candidate
Nice to haves:
- Experience with monitoring tools and best practices (e.g. Grafana/Prometheus);
- Experience with web scraper technologies (e.g. Scrapy);
- Experience with Big Data processing frameworks (e.g. Apache Spark);
- Experience building data pipelines and storage for high volume, unstructured text data;
- Experience or an interest in AI and machine learning technologies (e.g. Tensorflow, Pytorch);
- Experience or an interest in Natural Language Processing technologies (e.g. Huggingface, Spacy).
What we offer
- We believe in our mission – and we’d love for you to help us accelerate the transition to a sustainable world! We invest in your future and provide access to learning & development programs that will help you on your career path.
- We believe in trust and ownership – flexible working hours, flat hierarchies as well as regular feedback are all part of it.
- We live our values – a dynamic, diverse and highly motivated team which supports and mentors each other.
- We promote our culture – regular team events and intensive exchange with all Merantix companies.
- We have a cool HQ – Newly renovated office at the AI Campus in the heart of Berlin, complete with fresh fruit, Friday driinks :), and an amazing ecosystem of other startups, engineers and data scientists.
- A competitive salary and equity package.