Help us make a big green dent in the universe
We’re on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We’re looking for someone to lead on all our technical accounting across Octopus Energy, working really closely and reporting into our Group Financial Controller as well as regularly reporting to the Audit Committee.
You’ll need experience in auditing, local and international accounting standards and large, fast-paced, rapidly growing, international organisations.
You will work across the Octopus Energy Group, to identify audit risks and technical accounting challenges and manage them across the group.
The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience identifying and addressing audit risks and implementing accounting excellence and consistency. In addition, cultural fit is super important to us at Octopus and someone who can move fast across a complex business, and work easily with other people in a fast-growing international company is super important to us and this role.
Some international travel will be required.
What you’ll do
- Lead on accounting for due diligence on all M&A activities
- Lead on accounting on one-off projects, e.g. accounting framework transitions
- Be responsible for accounting excellence across the group including acquisition integrations and foreign subsidiary group reporting
- Work closely with the Audit Committee and External Auditors to ensure appropriate accounting and controls across the group
- Provide regular reviews of the group’s accounting control framework and accounting policies
- Take ownership and management of the financial risk register
What you’ll need
- Big 4 qualified with at least 5 years experience in practice or in internal audit in industry (preferably with Fintech/Technology client or working at one)
- Experience of accounting for M&A activity
- Experience in controls implementations and business process improvements
- Independently operate in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects
- Communication skills, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders across the business (including the Audit Committee)
- Analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Experience in project management practices, tooling, and managing projects through the audit lifecycle
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.