The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We’re looking for a Tech Business Analyst to work alongside our product and technical team leads to help shape and evolve our product.
What you’ll do…
- Work with the Lead Product Manager to help shape the high level roadmap and prioritise feature development across the platform.
- Coordinate with other development teams ensuring the successful delivery of features that have dependencies and interactions with other areas of the platform
- Analyze the stories as they come in, helping shape the design
- Work alongside developers to build a quality product which customers will love, participating in sprint planning, daily standups, 3 amigos discussions, and demos.
- Write user stories; high-level user journey and business process flow charts and conduct ongoing user acceptance testing, product quality sign-off, and product documentation.
- Use analytics data and first-hand research to understand user behaviors and inform product and design improvements.
- Help facilitate the agile team, running ceremonies (retrospective, planning, discovery)
- Write newsletter and blog updates to keep customers informed of new features being developed/launched.
What you’ll need…
- To be able to write sample scripts, understand and translate API documentation into requirements for the development team
- Experience in agile software product management; from inception; requirement gathering and prioritisation through to launch
- Experience in managing a live evolving product, prioritising feature requests from stakeholders, and making value-driven decisions
- Facilitation skills & comfort managing inception and requirements elicitation workshops
- Solid technical background with hands-on experience in web technologies.
- Ability to gather requirements from meetings, technical specifications, and process flows
- Strong problem-solving skills and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Technical ability. i.e, to be able to write sample scripts, understand and translate API documentation into requirements for the development team
- Desire to get into the technical detail for complex energy system services
- A passion for cleantech and a strong desire to contribute to the decarbonization of the planet
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What you’ll about
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.