Help us make a big green dent in the universe
We’re on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We’re looking for a Tech Recruiter to join our team. Ideally you’ll have worked in an in-house talent team, within a fast paced company. You should have experience recruiting a wide range of technical roles and thrive in an innovative environment, can roll up your sleeves to get the job done, but most importantly have fun.
The best people will bring previous knowledge of Recruitment and Tech and have a passion to continually learn about different areas of Octopus, as we continue to scale in the UK and Globally.
You will work closely with hiring managers across different areas within Tech but also work super collaboratively with the Talent Team – we share ideas and look to continually evolve the way we do things to improve candidate experience and help hiring managers hire amazing people for Octopus.
The Talent Team at Octopus Energy is super passionate about attracting amazing talent to join us on our exciting journey. Maintaining an excellent candidate experience throughout the entire recruitment journey is key for us.
What you’ll do
- Partner with hiring managers to understand their Tech hiring needs
- Build great long term relationships with candidates – from screening to offering candidates (that’s the best bit!) to deliver a diverse range of candidates
- Constantly provide an amazing candidate experience and look to always improve this across the team
- Headhunting is a part of the Talent Teams role . You’ll need to source, attract and recruit tech candidates
- Interview candidates for Octopus. Providing a different view and insight for hiring managers is really important… especially if we want to hire the best people for the role and the way we work here
- Building and maintaining relationships with a network of talented people and potential candidates for the future is key – there’s always a potential if someone is great, we will have a role for them in the future
- Bring your ideas to the team! You should have different recruitment strategy ideas for attracting the best candidates
What you’ll need
- You do need to know your stuff – this role is for a Tech Recruiter so, you’ll need to know how to do attract and source the best tech talent
- You love to work with all kinds of people – you’ve got no functional shoulder pads – it’s not ‘my team versus other teams’, it’s ‘we’re all working together to change the energy system globally, and I’ll lend anyone a hand’
- Often, we can only give you the question and not the answer, because if we knew the answer, we wouldn’t be hiring – are you someone who not only finds answers, but creates value by coming back and asking better questions?
- You focus on output not input, what’s important versus what’s not important and obsessively strive to make things better
- If you have previous experience in a fast paced, scaling business that’s also great
- You’ll need to interview candidates, so previous experience screening and assessing candidates across a variety of roles for both technical and cultural qualities is needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you should be able to build strong relationships in multiple ways
Why else you’ll love it here
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.