The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
We are looking for a new member of the Trading Analytics team to contribute to core models, and bring new ideas to the team. Sitting on OVO’s Trading Desk, you will develop complex, real time models of the UK energy market. It’s an energetic environment in which things can change remarkably quickly.After 10 years of trading, OVO is scaling rapidly, in terms of customers on supply, and approach to data science. In the past 5 years, we have moved from spreadsheets, to parametric models in databases, to sophisticated statistical models written in Python and R. Overall we trade around £500m worth of power and gas a year, so small improvements in performance can make a big difference!
What will I be doing?
Work is varied, and can include anything from ad-hoc visual analysis of market data, to deep-focus tasks such as making marginal gains on forecast accuracy based on statistical analysis. Key responsibilities include:
- Modelling how much power and gas OVO’s customers use on a daily basis.
- Quantitative analysis of trading strategies to assess exposure and minimise risks.
- Pricing exotic derivatives.
- Responding to changes in the market to facilitate trading decisions on the day.
- Collaborating with trading tech to develop algorithms and data pipelines that are stable enough to auto-trade.
Python, SQL and Tableau are the main technologies used within the team. We tend to take a mixed model approach incorporating traditional timeseries models and modern data science techniques such as Nonparametric Regression1, Bayesian Modelling2, and Neural Networks3. As with any work in this area, there is also a fair amount of data wrangling involved, so be prepared to roll up your sleeves and dust off the terminal!
Though some exposure to programming is important for this role, we’re looking for smart people who are good at picking things up, rather than someone with experience of particular technologies.
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have…
- Degree level (2:1 or better in numerical or science based subject preferred)
- A strong mathematical background
- Experience developing analytical computer models
- Some exposure to programming languages, ideally Python and SQL.
- Good data manipulation skills
- Demonstrable high attention to detail
- A drive to learn and develop new skills to suit the work
- Be a creative thinker who thrives off direct responsibility
- Commercial experience as a data scientist or software engineer.
- Confidence managing and manipulating large datasets
- Comfortable writing repeatable code using techniques like version control, functional testing and continuous deployment.
- Reporting experience, ideally using Tableau
- No previous energy industry or trading experience necessary but an understanding of the UK energy market is desirable.
- For bonus points, any knowledge of the following techniques:
1 Nonparametric regression: https://github.com/mfasiolo/workshop_WARSAW19
2 Bayesian models: https://docs.pymc.io/notebooks/multilevel_modeling.html
3 Neural Networks: https://www.tensorflow.org/tutorials/structured_data/time_series
OVO believes in fueling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to always find a better way and challenge the status quo.
From us you’ll get
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.