Climate Group is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic individual with excellent communication, stakeholder engagement, and organizational skills to implement one of our policy projects, the ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) Community. The ZEV Community brings together governments to share and learn about exciting ZEV initiatives taking place around the world. You will be working closely with partner organisations and sub-national government officials involved in the ZEV Community, providing opportunities for peer learning and showcasing government leadership.
You will also work closely with the Under2 Coalition policy team, providing support to state and regional governments to develop climate policies and share their progress with global counterparts.
About the Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
About the Under2 Coalition
The Under2 Coalition is a global community of state and regional governments committed to ambitious climate action in line with the Paris Agreement. It brings together more than 220 governments who represent over 1.3 billion people and 43% of the global economy.
Signatories commit to keeping global temperature rises to well below 2°C with efforts to reach 1.5°C. More than twenty states and regions in the Coalition have committed to reaching net zero emissions by 2050 or earlier.
In their position between national and local governments, states and regions are uniquely placed to take innovative climate action and to influence others to do the same.
Climate Group is the Secretariat to the Under2 Coalition and works with governments across three key workstreams: pathways, policy action and transparency. We also work directly with state and regional governments on capacity-building projects to support the implementation of climate policy.
More information can be found here: www.theclimategroup.org/under2-coalition
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to make a personal difference in accelerating climate action. As a member of our Under2 Coalition policy action team, you will be responsible for working with government members of the Under2 coalition and partner organisations to deliver our work on zero emission vehicles. The ZEV Community supports governments to increase the number of zero emission vehicles on their roads by convening a network of subnational practitioners to share experiences and identify the most impactful and innovative policies to accelerate the uptake of zero emission transport.
In addition to working with the government members of the Under2 Coalition, you will also work with the Climate Group’s EV100 team (a global corporate initiative bringing together forward looking companies committed to accelerating the transition to electro-mobility and making electric transport the new normal by 2030) in the context of advancing CG’s broader EV strategy and particularly building connections between government and business leadership. There is scope for this role to cover other policy topics relevant to state and regional governments in the future.
The Under2 Senior Project Officer will report to the Under2 Policy Manager as part of the UK Under2 Coalition team and policy team. You will also work with policy team staff in regional offices, the Climate Group Business Action team, state and regional governments, global stakeholders, and partners.
Key responsibilities will include but will not be limited to the following:
- Work closely with the Policy Manager to deliver the ZEV Community, and provide input on its overall strategy
- Lead on the logistical coordination of webinars, calls and events, including technical organization, preparing of agendas and coordination of speakers
- Work closely with the communications team to prepare and coordinate external communications, including preparation and publication of news stories and blogs and items for social media
- Identify innovative ZEV policies developed by ZEV Community participants and develop corresponding case studies.
- Contribute to the Climate Group’s broader strategy and thought leadership on electro-mobility and identify opportunities to raise general awareness on the role of subnational governments in the ZEV transition.
- Collaborate with and build relationships with ZEV Community external partners.
- Liaise with the Climate Group’s corporate campaign teams and international offices, as well as relevant external partners as needed.
- Play an active role in the Under2 Coalition’s policy team, input into team strategy and support the broader activities of the policy team as required.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious transport focused policy action project and to work with an expanding team to support wider action on climate change by sub-national governments.
- Understanding of and a commitment to the mission of the Climate Group
- Strong project management, administrative, and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing skills and an ability to easily synthesize findings and ideas to a non-technical audience
- Expertise and interest in climate policy and analysis, in particular transport and zero emission vehicles.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within and across teams, with good people skills
- Proactive self-starter and able to work independently
- Ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment, and adapt to changing conditions/circumstances
- Ability to build relationships with key stakeholders
- Experience of working with governments
- Experience in delivering webinars, workshops and/or events
- Experience of working in a global environment, and having relevant language skills
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home with the ability to use our temporary office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. From September, subject to government guidelines we envisage to return to office-based working with flexible blended approach (e.g. 3 days in the office, 2 days working from home). We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location (Zone1). Until then, this role can be done remotely but will require the post holder to be based in the UK.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the UK. Some travel may be required as part of the role.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time, fixed term 12-month position, with the possibility of renewal. The salary for this position is £28,800 – £35,200 per annum based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays; additional leave following three and six years’ service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Anaisa Pinto at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The expected closing date for submitting your application is 2nd July 2021.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group.