Product design role in a fast-paced, experiment-driven team
OVO Energy, London
We’re looking for an experienced designer to join our team exploring new digital products promoting sustainable energy.
Our goal is to help customers better manage how much energy they use, and support the UK’s drive to reduce carbon emissions. We need to better understand how people think about their energy so we can offer upgrades which help them reduce their carbon footprint. We have lots of ideas, from planting trees to installing smart tech throughout the home —but we need someone to help us prioritise, validate, and design new features. We’re looking for someone familiar with taking an experimental and lean approach to product development.
You’ll join a small team and work closely with our product manager and user researcher to help the team always ask: “Are we building the right thing?”. You’ll be responsible for rapidly designing and prototyping new propositions, carrying ideas through to live, and take the lead on shaping the experience across all journeys and touchpoints.
You’ll work in London, and collaborate with people across the UK. Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies at careers.ovo.com and Glassdoor. We were delighted to win our 3rd Top Employers award in 2020, and uSwitch’s 2019 Supplier of the Year.
Diverse teams are the best teams. Only when we represent everyone, can we create services for everyone. We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know ‘normal’ office hours don’t work for everyone, so we’re open to discussing flexible working requests. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much
of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
- design and build tools which help our customers positively impact the environment and begin their carbon reduction journey — one of the biggest challenges in our industry
- help us gather insights on how people view our sustainable energy upgrades
- explore what best motivates and supports customers in their carbon reduction journey
- demonstrate a rapid and collaborative design process which involves the whole team
- experiment with honest ways to upsell green energy to our customers
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our customers. And you’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, human-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape – be curious!
- get started straight away designing journeys and interactions across web and mobile
- pair with our user researcher on continuous discovery activities involving the whole team
- understand the proposition we’re currently developing and help define where it goes next
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- actively contribute to evolving the team’s vision and roadmap
- introduce regular product experimentation and ways to quickly get feedback on ideas
- facilitate workshops and co-design sessions with customers and stakeholders
- collaborate with our brand and marketing teams, and help align everyone together
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
This role will have a real impact on how hundreds of thousands of customers engage with us.
You’ll love working with us if you…
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agile and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
You’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, exciting colleagues about service design, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research; check out all our blogs. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to do what’s right, find a better way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire
on the basis of merit and potential. So get in touch, ask lots of questions.