We’re looking for a curious and empathetic UX researcher to get to know our users at a deeper level. You’ll be working with a cross-collaborative team to deliver features that not only solve our user’s problems but help create a product that they love.
What we believe
Tumelo is an investor-backed, impact-driven, financial technology firm. In our vision, a decade from now, every investor will be empowered to use their shareholder rights.
We believe the modern shareholder ownership system is broken. Trillions of pounds are invested every year by people who don’t even know what investment means, where their money is going, how it affects the world or their financial outcome, or what they can do about any of that.
We believe investors in the stock market (pension members, retail investors and asset owners, like trustees) should be aware of and connected to the companies they are invested in; should have influence and a voice at those companies; should have access to their shareholder rights. We believe big companies have the power to break or make our planet. What shareholders demand, and hold them accountable for, really matters.
Big change takes time but we are patient and ambitious in equal measure; influencing the system, building a movement, empowering the world. Our mission is to build and scale the technology to make that possible.
What we do
We partner with UK’s largest investment and pension platforms, empowering them to provide their investors with transparency over the companies they own and a shareholder voice on issues they care about, whether that be gender equality, human rights or climate change. We build APIs and beautiful user interfaces to deliver a totally unique user experience. We give platforms better engagement, acquisition and retention, coupled with the power to create a sustainable investment system for us all.
We’re a close-knit, ambitious team. We’re based mostly in and around the South West. We work in an agile manner; championing transparency and flexibility while prioritising open communication. We love food, rounders, board games and team holidays (everything from canvas painting to cliff jumping in Devon).
1. We do our best work to achieve our vision
2. We pull together to achieve more for users & customers
3. We are masters of prioritisation
4. We adapt relentlessly
5. We give each other feedback to move each other forwards 6. We trust each other to drive towards success
The purpose of this role is to support the product development team to create a product that our users love. You’ll be doing this by feeding user-driven and evidence-based insights into the design and development process from concept development to final release. The role objectives are to:
- Advocate for the user and bridge the gap between our community and our business.
- Work with our UX team to deliver creative solutions to UX challenges.
- Co-ordinate and structure in-person and online user interviews to test concepts in every
- Have a deep understanding of user-centered design principles.
- Champion UX across the business and enable others in the business to take part in or run user
research sessions when needed.
To reach these objectives you will:
- Be innovative in your approach to the role.
- Share research insights and related design rationale to the product team via Dovetail (our
insights repository), Zeplin (our design library), collaborative discussions and Sprint Demo
- Work closely with our collaborative product team including our Product Manager, UX
Designers, Content Writers and Soware Engineers.
- Predominantly work on qualitative research where you will have a breadth of experience
across different methodologies. Experience in quantitative research is a plus as our user base
continues to grow.
- Design discussion guides, coordinate recruitment (internally or with third-party recruiters),
conduct interviews, analyse results and share insights promptly with the team.
- Consider alternative research methods to get answers to our questions quickly and effectively.
- Frame user problems and stories.
- Map out user journeys.
- Research user and stakeholder personas and archetypes.
- Lead and participate in ideation and concept development workshops.
- Collaborate with our UX Designers to develop initial concepts into high-fidelity prototypes
with best design practice, accessibility, usability and brand alignment.
- Support moving from design to live market environments as quickly as possible, focusing on
- Demonstrate an understanding of the required GDPR issues surrounding recruitment and
research. Proactively manage this across the business for research-related activities including
use of consent forms, careful handling of data.
- Keep on top of industry standards.
We have industry-leading customers who love our product; heaps of energy; and the opportunity of a lifetime lying ahead of us (see this article about us from the CEO of Aviva Investors). With that in mind, we are looking for someone to work at the heart of our product development team, to understand users to their core so we can build the right product that our users love and our stakeholders know they do.
Who you are:
- You are an exceptional individual who encapsulates our company values.
- You are empathetic and a real people person.
- You are passionate about user experience, research and design.
- You are highly organised.
- You’re a self-starter; not afraid to get stuck in or get your hands dirty.
- You have an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
- You flourish with autonomy and independence.
- You can multi-task; handle high pressure and tight deadlines.
- You are a great listener and always follow through.
- You are a confident communicator and you know the power of good communication; your
spoken and written English is brilliant.
- You have the flexible attitude required in a start-up environment, and the capacity and
willingness to learn and adapt relentlessly.
- You are not afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- You inspire trust and invest in long-term relationships.
- You can reflect and dream big.
- You are passionate about social or environmental issues.
- You love to get feedback and are proactive about giving it.
It takes all kinds. We are trying to build a team that can conquer every challenge, speak every language, and understand every user. We have an ambitious mission to change the world so we hope to lead by example with a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the world we want to see. For the time being, you must have the right to work in the UK.
These are desirable rather than essential criteria. We welcome applications from people who do not have all the listed criteria but think they have what it takes and a willingness to learn by doing.
1. Experience with video production to capture great user quotes for marketing and internal research purposes.
2. Experience with UX writing for digital products.
3. Experience with thought-leadership – blogs, presentations.
If you’re such a superstar, we recognise you can probably work anywhere you want to. But working here, you’ll grow more than you would anywhere else; you will join a team who will appreciate you every day; your contributions will genuinely change our business outcome; and you will be proud to make a lasting, positive impact on the global investment system. And with that, we hope to hear from you!
The finer detail:
• Full-time role preferred
• Flexible times with core communication hours of 10-3
• Flexible working from home with at least 4 days/month in our office • Competitive salary based on experience
• 5% employer pension contribution
• Flexible holiday policy of 33 days incl bank holidays
• Generous company share scheme
• Initial application (see below)
• Technical interview (30 mins)
• Technical Task (~3 hours)
• Task presentation & self-evaluation (30 mins) • Values-based interview (45 mins)
There will be opportunities to ask questions throughout. If Tumelo sounds like a bit of you and if you are excited to ride this rollercoaster alongside us, then please apply
In your first email to us please include:
- An up-to-date CV
- A covering note detailing the life experience that makes you amazing; why you’re good for us
and especially why we’re right for you. This covering note – however short – is essential.
Start date: ASAP