Do Nation is at a pivotal moment of acceleration and we need an experienced UI/digital designer with a strong appreciation of UX design to help us increase the impact of our climate action platform, through creating beautiful and enjoyable user design.
You’ll be helping us solve critical user problems in our current platforms (Do Nation and Count Us In) and develop new features. You’ll be the only in-house designer, so it’s a great opportunity to stretch your skills and do impactful work in the mission to help millions of people take meaningful climate action.
This is a short term, part time contract while we shape our longer term design needs.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with our Product Manager, software developers (3 and more joining soon) and the Count Us In collective, to develop the UX and visual design of the platform.
- You will be making product improvements, particularly around UX, as well as starting from scratch on new features for our web-based platform.
- Working on 2 products that use the same codebase simultaneously, helping to align the UX and features whilst championing their individual brands.
- Working in short cycles to test assumptions and make smart decisions very quickly. We have grand plans for 2021 and we need your help to get us off the ground and make them happen.
A taste of your first projects
- Building a design system with a component library that reflects the current live design
- Improving the UX of how users select a team or community when making pledges
- Refining email design to optimise users’ success in completing their pledges
- Improvement the experience and useability of our partner onboarding, management and impact dashboards.
- Redesigning our core site wearedonation.com through reusable CMS components, giving us more flexibility and control in how we display content
The ideal person will
- Have extensive experience in using UX best practices to design interactive solutions, and a strong understanding of responsive design.
- Have a deep understanding of CMS frameworks and building content around replicable blocks.
- Understand that a good-enough-to-release feature is better than perfection.
- Value copy as an integral part of design and how UX writing can improve the user’s experience and our impact.
- Be able to simplify complex problems down to achievable, elegant solutions and relay those to our stakeholders.
- Have worked closely with engineers and with tech start-ups and understand the relationship between design and technology.
- Be confident using their knowledge to make decisions on the best solution. We’re a small team, working at pace, and won’t have time to user-test every solution.
- Be a pro at using Figma and be able to set up an intuitive design system that allows the team to adapt features quickly.
- Last but not least – they’ll be interested in and excited by the challenges and opportunities of sustainable living and sustainable business – this is our lifeblood.
- Bonus Understand how front-end development works so designs are easy to implement.
- Bonus have worked on projects around climate change, behaviour change and / or community action.
Important things to know
Start date: ASAP (aiming for mid- May)
Contract length: This is a short term role which we anticipate lasting for 2 – 3 months, whilst we work to understand our long-term design needs
Contract type: This is a freelance role initially but could evolve into a permanent contract
Days: 3 – 4 days a week (with flexible working hours)
Budget: A day rate of £300-350
Location: We’re a fully remote company, with team members in France, Scotland and England. As a contractor you can be based anywhere in the EU.
Our team: Our culture is informal, hard-working and kind. Whilst you’re with us, you’ll be an integral part of our team not relegated to the freelancer zone.
About Do Nation:
Do Nation is a small organisation aiming to have a big impact. We’re on a mission to help millions of people to take meaningful climate action, while helping them to form healthy, environmentally friendly habits, both at home and at work. We do this through an online platform where anyone can either make a pledge or run a campaign to raise pledges – pledges to do things like cycling to work, wasting less food, or using reusable coffee cups.
Over the last few years, demand for our services has increased rapidly, leading to a customer base ranging from innocent drinks to The EU; The Earthshot Prize to Siemens Plc. Last year we partnered with Count Us In, an ambitious global project aiming to encourage 1 billion people to take climate action by 2030, which is further fuelling demand for Do Nation.
We’re a small, nimble, and committed team, scattered across the UK and France. We strongly believe in the potential of our unique model to create a wide scale, meaningful impact on one of the most important issues of our time, and we’re hungry to deliver on that.
This is an unusual opportunity to work with a small founding team at an exciting stage of rapid but organic and customer-fuelled growth. While we are commercially focused, social impact is the fuel that drives us – and as such, we are proud to be a certified B Corp. We’re a fully remote team working across England, Scotland and France.