Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
The VP Growth is a key member of the senior leadership team and will lead Marketing, Growth, Communications, Design and Brand at Wefarm.
This is a unique opportunity to get involved from the beginning of Wefarm’s most exciting product launch to date – our first digital product – and help shape the future of our brand and platform across East Africa and global market expansion.
This could be the right role for you if you are an experienced, data-driven growth executive, with startup experience, ideally in tech. An experienced manager and leader, you’ll be drawn to coaching and developing talent and getting the best out of your global team – empowering them to maximise their journey at Wefarm.
Outcome 1 – Leadership of Marketing, Communications and Growth
You are responsible for hiring, building and coaching an exceptional team and talent to drive the company’s overall growth and communications strategy, as well as maintaining a strong and trusted, collaborative relationship with other teams like Product and Sales to make it happen.
- Create a member-obsessed and performance culture in your team, ensuring high levels of leverage between them, and clear role transparency and development plans
- Collaboration with Product, Sales and People on insights and go-to-market plans, and ensure we communicate value consistently across all channels and audiences
- Ensure every employee has the access to the insights and data they need to make data-driven decisions that help us grow faster and more effectively
Outcome 2 – Pursue intelligent growth
You will pursue growth by focusing on building the audiences, campaigns, channels and playbooks that provide high quality engagement (vs growing by simply growing), to drive value to the community and wider platform both today and tomorrow.
- Investigate and understand audience and member behavior, and devise relevant go-to-market strategies and campaigns to hit company growth targets
- Work with other teams to ensure product market fit (supply side) is in place so members are provided with positive experiences, as measured by NPS/equivalent
- Actively pursue improving and positive unit economics through all activities, and develop the playbooks that ensures the company scales
Outcome 3 – Build a trusted brand our members love to promote
You will always put our first hour and pound into helping members understand that we’re a trusted community where they can connect to the people and resources they need to be more successful.
- Build a global trusted brand that conveys our core value propositions to all audience
- Protect our brand reputation to all stakeholders as we evaluate and make decisions, using comms insights to help us walk the walk as well as talk the talk
- Help provide our promoters the tools and incentives to promote
Key skills and attributes
- Driven by member insights and data driven decision making
- Inspire creativity, and support with a strong test and learn approach
- Deep business and commercial awareness, ensuring marketing and growth are never seen a cost centre, but instead are a necessity of profit
- Can coach teams that mix high levels of both left and right brain thinking
- Strategic and forward thinking, you don’t suffer from sunk cost fallacies, and can move on quickly
- Don’t miss the details (they matter), but you don’t get bogged down by them either
- Comfortable and experienced operating across multiple channels and markets
- Highly collaborative across the company
Rewards package and remuneration
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages and healthcare benefits, which vary slightly by location of employment, and global mental health support services through Spill.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office bases in our four main hub cities. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and will get back to our annual WeCamp global get togethers as soon as we can do that safely.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background – and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.