You will maintain Ecotricity’s fleet of Enercon wind turbines throughout the UK to a high standard, carrying out preventive and corrective maintenance when required. The operations and maintenance department is based in Louth, Lincolnshire where you report each week. You will be required to work away from Louth possibly at short notice. You may be required to work extra hours depending on operational needs and you will also be required to work a weekend call out rota in addition to your normal 41.5 hour week. A good head for height is essential.
41.5 hours/week. 8:00am to 5pm Monday to Thursday. 08:00am to 4pm Fridays. 30min lunch.
Role purpose & objectives
The objective of this role is:
To deliver high quality maintenance on the company’s fleet of wind turbine assets. To ensure allocated service vehicles are kept fully replenished, orderly and in good repair.
Team Leader (Wind Turbine Engineer)
Team Leader (Wind Turbine Engineer)
Technical Engineer or Wind Turbine Engineer
Key role responsibilities
This role is specifically responsible/accountable for the following duties:
- Responsible for carrying out statutory inspections, preventative, corrective and fault-finding maintenance on all wind turbine types at any wind farm location according to the defined safety and maintenance procedures and effectively using the documentation and reporting systems provided, ensuring assets are returned to operation in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible for the overall quality of work carried out according to the advised work instructions, raising any recurrent deficiencies to line management, the Technical Trainer or Technical Engineers, as appropriate.
Safety & Environment
- Responsible for contributing to the overall safety and welfare within your designated team, ensuring adherence to Ecotricity’s safety procedures and wind turbine safety rules at all times and reporting any unsafe behaviours, unsafe conditions, near misses or accidents to line management or the H&S Supervisor, as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring that all requirements relating to ISO14001 standards are met relating to wind turbine works.
- Responsible for contributing to scheduled meetings and workshops with respect to maintenance standards and procedures, HR, health and safety, staff morale and continuous improvement topics, as appropriate.
Vehicles & Equipment
- Responsible for ensuring that your assigned vehicle, tooling, COSHH, spare parts, welfare and safety equipment are maintained in accordance with the defined standard and are appropriate for upcoming scheduled works.
- Responsible for positive engagement and ownership with respect to continuous improvements initiatives relating to optimisation of energy production, component reliability, operational cost, safety & environmental impacts and staff morale.
- Responsible for complying with all reporting requirements via the electronic and written systems and procedures, ensuring that all documentation is compiled and accounted for in each task assigned.
- Responsible for producing accurate and comprehensive reports on all preventative and corrective maintenance tasks attended, giving the technical department the required information to improve technical support documentation.
- Responsible for ensuring any changes to procedures or policies are understood and complied with as required. Responsible for participating in and providing input to regular department meetings and toolbox talks.
- Responsible for ensuring a comprehensive handover process is undertaken with colleagues providing cover for extended absences such as leave, sickness or secondment.
- Responsible for assisting the Technical Trainer in the refinement of the in-house Training Plan as required and directed.
- Provide suggestions on improvements or skills gaps that have been identified and contributing to the delivery of on the job training for other wind engineer staff, maintenance/fault rectification tasks and day to day procedures. Responsible for participating in training courses required for the role.
- Responsible for the adoption of any other additional affiliated tasks that the O&M manager might reasonably request as the role develops.
You will have proven ability to maintain, repair and fault find on a variety of technical equipment both electrically and mechanically to a high standard with minimal supervision. You will also be able to comply with all health and safety aspects of working in an engineering environment at all times.
The following specific behaviours are expected for this role:
- Expected to be a strong team player who can set an example to demonstrate the standards of responsibility and behaviour required from the O&M department, as outlined in the job definitions.
- Always presenting oneself as approachable and supportive, willing to listen to understand and back initiatives which optimise the efficiency/effectiveness of the O&M organisation, the H&S and the engagement/morale of the wider team.
- Expected to consistently demonstrate a prompt, efficient and methodical approach to routine works and ongoing projects.
- Able to motivate peers by demonstrating personal commitment, energy and enthusiasm, believing in the purpose of the work and making the team’s working experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Expected to be able to communicate with both team members and management in a positive, constructive and professional manner, even when under pressure.
- Able to act, when necessary, as an envoy or mediator between peers and the wider organisation in respect of important or sensitive issues.
Essential skills & experience
The following entry level skills & experience are essential for the role:
- Holds at least 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above (including Mathematics & English).
- Holds NVQ Level 3 In Electrical and Mechanical Engineering or relevant experience.
- Holds in-date GWO courses (Working at Height, Manual Handling, Fire Awareness, First Aid) and wind turbine medical.
- A good level of computer literacy in excel, word and other MS Office packages (or equivalent).
- Strong communication skills, particularly verbal communication and at all levels.
- Good time management & personal organisational skills.
- Ability to carry out work to a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to produce accurate and comprehensive reports on all preventative and corrective maintenance tasks attended.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines without compromising safety or quality.
- Ability to work independently with remote management and take responsibility for project delivery.
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise workload effectively.
- Ability to both lead and work as part of small team out on site or as part of a larger team.
Desirable skills & experience
The following additional skills & experience are also beneficial for the role:
- Holds an IOSH working safely qualification.
- Experience of Enercon wind turbines and their systems.
- Holds a Traffic Marshaller/banksman qualification.
- Holds a COSHH awareness qualification.
- Demonstrates low risk confined space awareness.
- Knowledge of equality and diversity legislation.
- Acquisition of any other additional desirable skills and experience that the O&M manager might reasonably expect as the role develops.